Sign in to follow this  
wolvenstien

What is the best place to order leather?

I have never ordered leather before...

What is the best place to order from, meaning the quality of service and the quality of the leather and the all around price....

I am looking at doing motorcycle bags and wonder what the best cut and brand and thickness you fine folks would recoment as well...

Thanks all

Mike

People will likely recommend businesses such as Weaver or Wickett and Craig or Siegel. I've been having a really positive experience with our newly opened Tandy, in Allentown, PA. I don't know where you're located, but if you give Jeff - the manager - a call, I bet he could help you. He's recently moved to PA from TX. The number there is 610-437-3424

Would it be possible to form a buying group? For those who seek only 1 or 2 sides, i could be great! So, even the newbie like myself could find a way of having good leather!

:whatdoyouthink:

EDIT

Oups, this message was suposed to be part form mail ordering thread. So, can a moderator place this message in the thread: Mail oirdering, please? merged per users request

Edited by dsenette

Probably a good idea for folks that live in same area. But, shipping and handling/repackaging would probably defeat any savings. And, complicated if someone wanted to return?

For those that live close togather and can meet, it would probably work just fine.

Regis

Edited by Regis

I can see a few problems with that. Wouldn't want to be the one who has to receive and redistribute things. Better to order from WC or Siegel on a one to one basis.

Art

Would it be possible to form a buying group? For those who seek only 1 or 2 sides, i could be great! So, even the newbie like myself could find a way of having good leather!

:whatdoyouthink:

EDIT

Oups, this message was suposed to be part form mail ordering thread. So, can a moderator place this message in the thread: Mail oirdering, please? merged per users request

i mail order everthing!

i have been using siegel of california for the leather i use for bags. i get north american double shoulders when ever they have them on sale normally 9-10oz.

i also buy from hide crafter, tandy and weaver.

This is why Wickett and Craig is nice. You can get some VERY nice leather from them and you have no minimum to buy.

I have never tried Seigels until recently, and I am very happy with their products as well as their service. I picked up some of their double shoulders, as well as some of the veg tan goat. I will now be frequenting them quite often.

Edited by The Major

I have ordered from Siegel, Hidecrafter, and Weaver in addition to WC and HO. I don't use Tandy anymore as the Richmond store is 2 hours away and Green Top Sporting Goods and one of the best Hooters around are down there too. Momma and I make one of those trips and spend the morning in Green Top buying black powder and reloading equipment and supplies, then go to Tandy for an hour, then to Hooters till late that evening then we have to get a room...... would have to go the adult section if I continue...... but long story short, I take a trip to Tandy and spend a grand or MORE and end up with a gallon or two of Barge and some chrome tan that Momma likes. Oh, I love to go to Tandy, but I can't afford it too often.

Art

i mail order everthing!

i have been using siegel of california for the leather i use for bags. i get north american double shoulders when ever they have them on sale normally 9-10oz.

i also buy from hide crafter, tandy and weaver.

Anybody can buy Herman Oak leather from one of their authorized dealers located around the country and not have to meet the 10 side minimum they have if you buy direct from the tannery.

Bowden Leather Company

El Paso, TX

915-877-1557

Goliger Leather Company

Ventura, CA

800-423-2329

Hide Crafter Leather Company

Ft. Worth, TX

817-878-5797

Montana Leather Company

Billings, MT

406-245-1660

Oregon Leather Company

Portland, OR

503-228-4105

Panhandle Leather Company

Amarillo, TX

806-373-0535

Southern Leather Company

Memphis, TN

901-774-0400

Stevenson-Paxton Sales

Ignacio, CA

800-648-1622

Weaver Leather Inc,

Mt Hope, OH

800-WEAVER-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caledon Sales Ltd

Calgary, AB, Canada

403-252-0232

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birdsall Leather

Botany, NSW, Australia

2-9316-6299

Toowoomba Saddlery

Toowoomba, Qsld, Australia

7-4633-1855

Craft & Company Ltd

Suginam-ku, Tokyo, Japan

3-5698-5511

Kyoshin Elle & Company Ltd

Taito-ku, Tokyo, Japan

3-3866-3221

Circle L Saddlery

Wenden, Germany

502-6394

Edited by ClayB

This is why Wickett and Craig is nice. You can get some VERY nice leather from them and you have no minimum to buy.

I have never tried Seigels until recently, and I am very happy with their products as well as their service. I picked up some of their double shoulders, as well as some of the veg tan goat. I will now be frequenting them quite often.

If a pereson just wants a side or shoulders or what ever in a lesser amount, they can order directly from Wickett and Craig. They have a place just for smaller quanities, I believe the ph# is 1-800-TANNERY, if this is not the right phone no. let me know and I'll look further. Regards Billy P

If a pereson just wants a side or shoulders or what ever in a lesser amount, they can order directly from Wickett and Craig. They have a place just for smaller quanities, I believe the ph# is 1-800-TANNERY, if this is not the right phone no. let me know and I'll look further. Regards Billy P

Billy, Clay... Thanks very much

I called the 1 800 tannery number, and was sent to the sales department at extention 217.

I asked for a catalog to be sent and was told they had a price sheet and swatches... so... I am not sure what I will be getting, but will post back when it gets here... and NO MINIMUMS!

LOL

Mike

Hi Mike,

They sent me a swatch card when I first started with them, however after I ordered some they sent a chain with pieces of their different products....much easier to see what you will be getting. Their Black "English" Bridle is really nice.

Art

Billy, Clay... Thanks very much

I called the 1 800 tannery number, and was sent to the sales department at extention 217.

I asked for a catalog to be sent and was told they had a price sheet and swatches... so... I am not sure what I will be getting, but will post back when it gets here... and NO MINIMUMS!

LOL

Mike