Sign in to follow this  
HARVEY

X-1 (Tandy's) Finish

I was sampling/playing around with this, and getting a lot of streaking. Plus it's really thin/watery. Suggestions/insights , please, on best way to use and apply it. Thanks!

Harvey

Los Angeles

Harvey,

I guess I didn't know they still made it. I am sure that formulation has been changed somewhat. I liked it alright when it was Drakes. It was a little thicker than water. I used to kind of slather it on with a cellulose sponge, and kind of keep working it around until it looked alright then leave it alone. It would darken up the overall finish a little. Good for coloring and finishing linings that you might not want to oil and have the oil leach into papers.

There is a little of it still available at some Tandy Stores.

When I cover large surfaces, I first of all believe you have to dye the leather first. (X-1 is NOT a dye) And then you apply it fast and wipe off the excess fast.

When I cover small pieces of tooling, no dye is needed first and then I just apply the X-1 with a thin brush and I do not wipe off the excess - I just put it on in a thin layer to highlight the tooling.

Can anybody find out a recipe for us so that we can make our own????

I was sampling/playing around with this, and getting a lot of streaking. Plus it's really thin/watery. Suggestions/insights , please, on best way to use and apply it. Thanks!

Harvey

Los Angeles