Harry Marinakis

How Do You Finish Natural (Undyed) Veg Tan Leather?

I am making a piece and discovered that I really like the complimentary contrast of undyed veg tan leather and leather that is dyed dark brown.

My question is: How do you finish and protect undyed veg tan leather?

I would like to soften the leather and keep the undyed leather from getting soiled, from darkening from finishes that I apply, and would like the undyed leather to be water resistant.

I plan to test a variety of treatments and finishes on identical pieces of leather, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has any other ideas. I plan io try softening with olive oil, burnishing with a bone burnishing tool, and applying Resolene and Renaissance Wax.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Harry Marinakis

I finish un-dyed leather the same way I do when it is dyed....depending on how the piece will be used, i use the appropriate finish.

Here's what I've got so far. I wetted the undyed leather, burnished it with with a bone tool, and then as it was drying I polished the edges of the belt. Then I soaked the belt in Resolene and buffed it when it dried. it came out kinda marbled, which I did not expect from my tests, but I like it anyway. I've got to finish sewing the scabbard cover around the wood core, and then I'll lace the straps into the cover.

imgp1463_180.jpg

Edited by Harry Marinakis