RWB

Full Flower Bowman Saddle

I haven't seen many saddle pics up lately, and thought I would contribute. I took this saddle to Sheridan this year and was soundly beaten by my old boss, Don Butler, and a couple other guys. Oh well, as usual my skin is about a foot thick, so tell me what I did wrong. Keith Seidel was very helpful at the show and maybe some of the other guys here can point some things that he didn't.

Thanks,

Ross Brunk

www.nrcowboygear.com

post-10126-029309100 1308019822_thumb.jp

post-10126-097028700 1308019854_thumb.jp

post-10126-095563000 1308019931_thumb.jp

post-10126-044978500 1308020143_thumb.jp

post-10126-013523100 1308020172_thumb.jp

post-10126-042891700 1308020200_thumb.jp

post-10126-093751300 1308020320_thumb.jp

Edited by RWB

That is a beautiful saddle! I really like your Taps, very classy.

Regards Billy

Well as far as I can see you did nothing wrong. Judging contest always leave me wanting anyways.

So, provided that saddle is made strong and correctly, anyone that sits it will , or should have a big smile and a heart full of warmth and pride.

I hope you get a fortune for it!

Joel

Holy Cats!!! That a fine wood. Like Joel said, if it fits a horse, and if it fits the hand ridin' it, there ain't a thing wrong with it. I'm thinkin' it should fetch a pretty nice pocket full of change, and ultimately, that's what we're in this business for anyway. You did good. Just for curiosity sake, how long did it take to make?

Edited by leatherrookie

I don't see anything wrong. I don't know of anyone that would not be happy to own that.

Judged events are always biased in my opinion.

Would be interested to here what Keith had to say about it.

Al

Well Ross, another fine job. From the pics, I really couldn't pick up on anything other than, and this could just be the pic, (lighting and color and resolution can play tricks on you). It appears that from the back pic, that the split between the skirts is not exactly centered over the center line of the saddle, and the back of the skirts edge on the right side is not as smooth as it could be. Mind you this may just be the pic, I have had pics show what appears to be flaws that really don't exist too. Other than that, I really can't see anything that a judge could hang his hat on, but; then again who likes judges?

Really nice, lots of time in this one, and it shows.

Bob

It's really hard to beat Don Butler! Looks like you done a fine job. Maybe more detail in the scrols and stems but that's nit pickin'

Randy

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate them. I hope I didn't sound like I was disgruntled about the results of the show, Butler deserved to win and I didn't. Like Randy commented, Don is hard to beat. And I have seen first hand why, he is just really good.

Bob, you have a pretty sharp eye, those skirts are off center. About 1/8th of an inch in fact. It was either that or my housings wouldn't fit tight against my back cantle on the off side. I was pretty pissed when I got to that stage and the were gapping a little bit. I can't figure if I fit them wrong or they moved and stretched on me when I stamped them. Maybe a little bit of both, I suspect

I wish that I could get my lighting right to take more detailed photos of my stamping. Any tips or tricks? Maybe I need to use a different bulb.

Ross Brunk

www.nrcowboygear.com

Ross, I am not sure it is the eye, just that I have had the same thing happen to me, so it is something I am sensitive to. That's how you learn and get to be as good as Don, or Keith. Here is a pic of that saddle I made ten or so years ago. Needless to say, I work extra hard now to avoid that result.

Bob

post-8161-082580700 1308149508_thumb.jpg

;) ;) Horrid saddle. I'll PM you my address. You can ship it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

I was at the show and saw your saddle. The only thing I noticed was the back skirts off center. And the jagged edge on the mulehide on the wrap. I really like your seat idea, and was curious how you keep that seat held down on the cantle. The mulehide didnt concern me because the first rope burned in will change all the pretty edges any way. I`m pretty sure you werent going to beat Don this year being the Stohlman award winner and all. And his tooling was alot more intricate than the rest of the field.

Holy Cats!!! That a fine wood. Like Joel said, if it fits a horse, and if it fits the hand ridin' it, there ain't a thing wrong with it. I'm thinkin' it should fetch a pretty nice pocket full of change, and ultimately, that's what we're in this business for anyway. You did good. Just for curiosity sake, how long did it take to make?

Honestly I have no idea how long it took me. I pecked away at if for about a year. I made it for myself so it really didn't matter how much time i had into it. I appreciate you comments.

Ross

Edited by RWB

I was at the show and saw your saddle. The only thing I noticed was the back skirts off center. And the jagged edge on the mulehide on the wrap. I really like your seat idea, and was curious how you keep that seat held down on the cantle. The mulehide didnt concern me because the first rope burned in will change all the pretty edges any way. I`m pretty sure you werent going to beat Don this year being the Stohlman award winner and all. And his tooling was alot more intricate than the rest of the field.

I appreciate that. It's just going to be hard to beat Don period. I don't have that kind of experience. He has a particular flair to his stamping that just makes it really pop. And the color. He had great color on that saddle. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong there, but his color was superb. I tend to get a real orange pumpkin color. Like on the saddle here, and I'm not a big fan of it.

The cantle is just glued in. I was going to stitch that line, but figured glue would hold it. That Masters Cement holds like grim death.

It's funny you mention that horn wrap. I was going to fix it it, but at that point after looking at that saddle for about a full year I didn't care. I know that is a really bad adittude, but I came at it the same way you did, and just said "Well it will burn off."

Ross

Hey, you still have got nothing to be ashamed about. The fact that your even entering is a great achievement. I keep saying I`m going to bring a saddle next year, then build one and pick it apart till I talk myself out of bringing it. So kudos to .

Steve Lazy Y

Hey, you still have got nothing to be ashamed about. The fact that your even entering is a great achievement. I keep saying I`m going to bring a saddle next year, then build one and pick it apart till I talk myself out of bringing it. So kudos to .

Steve Lazy Y

So post some pictures already. I want to see what my competition is going to be like next year! The worst that can happen is you lose. Been there done that many times. Slap some photos up, I wanna see 'em.

Ross

i think you oughta give me that saddle and try again ...........only joking it looks fantastic