NicoleAlaine

How To Narrow The Ends Of A Belt/collar?

I'm looking to make some dog collars with a fat center and narrow ends, like in this picture.

men-s-quality-brown-leather-w-ornate-silver-trim-disk-western-style-belt-36.jpg

I am wondering how to get the end narrowed. I cut my own straps from full hides using the Tandy Strap Cutter (http://www.tandyleat...er-3080-00.aspx). I know there must be a reasonably easy way to do it since it is so commonly done.

Any help would be appreciated!

If I was doing it, I'd take a 1/4" off the side down as far as I wanted with the strap cutter, flip it around to the back to take it off the other side and use a utility knife and square to get the angle. Not sure how easy all that is :) Cheryl

Another way is to make a template so the tip end, & buckle end come out the same.

Take off 6 inches at buckle end, & about 8 to 8 &1/2 " on the tip end.

Like Cheryl said,cutting 1/4" off, at a 45' angle.

Just cut it straight, and make it half a size big... the dog will wear down the part in front of him :rofl:

OR, make a template as wide as you would like the ends to be. Finish the "widening" part with a radius NOT tighter than the radius you'll use to burnish the edge with, x-acto knife and two mins ...