MADMAX22

Lily Stainless Oil Question

So I got some of this lily stainless machine oil today and noticed it is far darker then the stuff I got with my CB4500. Its more of a lighter brown color while the small bottle I got with the machine is pretty much clear. Just not sure if this is how that Lily oil is suppose to be. I assume this is a good oil to use on these guys.

Anyways thanks for the info.

The clear oil is the only oil that won't stain,the oil you got is possibly a littler heavier.Try a little test out some clear on a scrap piece of leather & next to it put some of the new oil on & let us know what happens.

Bob

Generally, those oils are mineral oil with some additives. The color comes from the additives as mineral oil is clear. I use Lily on my older machines, namely Campbell, Randall, Union Lock, and most shoe machines like the Landis 12 and Champion machines. Also works in McKay machines of about any make. For the big stitchers like the Landis 12, I follow a Voodoo recipe given to me by a shoe machine tech that involves mixing Marvel Mystery Oil with the Lily Stitching Oil (or Sellari's). As those machines weren't known for high tolerances, I figured anything to tighten up the viscosity a pinch might help. As far as new machines go, even big stitchers like the 441, the tolerances are so tight in those machines that using the straight mineral oil is probably best. I've been using the squeeze bottle with the long spout stuff for a long time on the new machines and haven't encountered any lubrication related problems. As for the old machines, they are like Harleys, if there isn't oil on the driveway, add some (to the Harley that is, just don't pour it on the driveway). I have a big Highlead that just does fire suppression stuff and runs 900spm for very long runs, I use the Lily oil (actually made by Randall) on it without a problem either.

Art

So I got some of this lily stainless machine oil today and noticed it is far darker then the stuff I got with my CB4500. Its more of a lighter brown color while the small bottle I got with the machine is pretty much clear. Just not sure if this is how that Lily oil is suppose to be. I assume this is a good oil to use on these guys.

Anyways thanks for the info.

As for the old machines, they are like Harleys, if there isn't oil on the driveway, add some (to the Harley that is, just don't pour it on the driveway).

Art

This made me chuckle, remembering some grief I gave an old roommate of mine. He got a fairly new Harley and after a few days in the garage he was happy to announce, "look it doesn't leak oil...yet". So I grabbed a bottle of oil off the shelf and poured some on the ground while his back was turned and told him, "look, now it's a real Harley". ;)

The next day I found a pile of rice under my Honda...when I asked about it, his reply was, "yeah, looks like your bike is leaking now too." :head_hurts_kr:

Edited by Spinner

Thanks guys for the info. Ill see about getting some straight mineral oil, I had ordered this from cambell when I ordered a few other things not thinking that the oil from that store would be more catered to the big beasties. Maybe Ill just use it on my 211g155 but even that old guy may have pretty tight clearances in comparison to the big boys.

Thats funny Spinner.

Generally, those oils are mineral oil with some additives. The color comes from the additives as mineral oil is clear. I use Lily on my older machines, namely Campbell, Randall, Union Lock, and most shoe machines like the Landis 12 and Champion machines. Also works in McKay machines of about any make. For the big stitchers like the Landis 12, I follow a Voodoo recipe given to me by a shoe machine tech that involves mixing Marvel Mystery Oil with the Lily Stitching Oil (or Sellari's). ...

Art

Art;

Is the Lily Oil you get from Campbell different than the Lily Oil sold for typical industrial sewing machines? I have been using some 20 weight oil in my Union Lockstitch machine. I wasn't aware that Campbell had something heavier than standard machine oil.

I like that idea of adding Mystery Oil to Lily Oil. I have even used Lucas Oil in the rear lower shaft bearing's oil hole (to keep it from flowing right back out the bottom).

I've received Lily oil from Weaver that was Randall Oil. Not much thicker, but that is just an impression. The Sellari machine oil is a little thicker, but not by a lot. None of it is as thick as 20 weight. I think everyone has pretty much switched over to the stainless oil now, I haven't seen anything like Lily offered in the catalogs except maybe Weaver. I'm old enough now that I probably won't need much oil for my newer machines, and a can of Sellari's and some MO will keep the 12's going for awhile.

Art

Art;

Is the Lily Oil you get from Campbell different than the Lily Oil sold for typical industrial sewing machines? I have been using some 20 weight oil in my Union Lockstitch machine. I wasn't aware that Campbell had something heavier than standard machine oil.

I like that idea of adding Mystery Oil to Lily Oil. I have even used Lucas Oil in the rear lower shaft bearing's oil hole (to keep it from flowing right back out the bottom).