Sign in to follow this  
corter

New Work

haven't posted in a while but i've hit about the 6 month mark since i first started working with leather so i figured i'd update. i've been swamped with a lot of the same stuff over and over again, but slowly building a nice little buisness for myself (crazy after such a short time). here's a couple updates on my work, i've been trying to press in my stitching as it was suggested last time i posted some pieces, but mostly i've been working on my pocketing/edging and getting everything straight and as machine-made looking as i can, without a machine. I've also been trying to design pieces that flow and function but look nice too :)

2342523950_8db0dd4350.jpg

2333219669_56e4aeb786.jpg

2333219675_b7073c1a72.jpg

2292583519_2cc90c1984.jpg

2342523952_0a81e61a57.jpg

i'm also getting the bug to try some tooling...we'll see.

As I recall it you are studying (or have recently) design in one way or the other?

Well, it clearly shows if that's the case.

Very nice, clean and cunning designs and I think those probably has alot of thought about function from your side.

I like the natural ones best 'cuz the braided string shows at it's best that way.

Congrats on the nice business opportunity :clapping:

Tom

love the design and natural color and the braiding is sweet!!! looking forward to more pics

Yes, I'm with the others on the natural color, although the black doesn't look bad at all. Very nice design and the stiching is great. Glad to hear you've carved yourself a niche in the market.

Ken

Corter,

Your work absolutely knocks me out. I love the clean simplicity of your work. Great, great work.

Please keep posting and show us more of your work.....how about a tutorial on how you go about it?

Also tell us about yourself...Where are you? etc.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

Corter,

Your work absolutely knocks me out. I love the clean simplicity of your work. Great, great work.

Please keep posting and show us more of your work.....how about a tutorial on how you go about it?

Also tell us about yourself...Where are you? etc.

Dave Theobald

thanks everyone!

as far as design goes, really the only thing that i call my own out of these pictures is that first cardholder, which was a collaborative design with a customer/friend that ended up being a favorite of other customers as well. the regular snap wallet is my take on japanese leather wallet design (a lot of my stuff is), like the ones seen Here . i got into the craft by wanting one but not being able to afford the $300 price tag...so i made my own. more pictures of my work:

heres a guitar pick holder I made recently as well:

2328520236_2102dabf3b.jpg

and a cardholder with a died inner lining (first time using a lining) and thinner pockets to keep the thickness to a minimum

2314118133_85ea8833a9.jpg

this is a repost, but since the site went down recently, heres a long wallet i did over christmas:

2173899923_c18348c836_o.jpg

I really owe a lot to this site, just reading and learning about everyone's work. it's nice to have a place to post random, beginner wuestions and not get shot down. so thanks everyone! and thanks for the kind words as well :)

Well, I've been a fan from the start! Even your earliest work showed off some really graceful lines, and having visited the Japanese site, I can see where you're getting your inspiration.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting those pics!

Best, Alex :)

I like your work. You are a bazaro me. I usually make stuff that looks like it was made by hand and it shows. lol Kinda cavemanish....LOL You have a great talent. I've also just been doing leather for almost a year and I love it. Look forward to seeing more of your fun stuff.

You must be a natural. Your design is great, your pieces are clean and functional as well as pleasing to the eye. Your stitching is top notch. I would suggest using a stitching groover. From the pictures posted, it looks like you didn't. Might just be my eyes, though. I like the little hinge/gusset at the fold. I would also like to know what goes into construction of one of these little beauties. What weight leather is this? Thanks for posting.

Nice stuff! I hope I'm doing that quality of work at 6 months in.

I agree with grumpy, a stitching groover would make it look good, but it looks good now too. just add that extra pop to it. that an the person that is carying it wont have to worry about having it restitched cuz they caught it on something an busted a stitch. if you do get a stitching groover, also get an overstitcher to help you evenly space your holes.keep up the good work. how about a tutorial on the braiding?

I agree with grumpy, a stitching groover would make it look good, but it looks good now too. just add that extra pop to it. that an the person that is carying it wont have to worry about having it restitched cuz they caught it on something an busted a stitch. if you do get a stitching groover, also get an overstitcher to help you evenly space your holes.keep up the good work. how about a tutorial on the braiding?

i do use an overstitch wheel, i just don't use a grover because of all the curves in the pieces. I've had my first wallet for 6 months and the stitching's fine, i really think it'd be hard to bust a stitch, no?

i learned to braid from this site! don't remember where i found a tutorial but it's here.

What an improvment im impressed as to how far you have come in such a short time i take my hat of to you, i love the natural also, and congrats that you are selling your work, Don

i do use an overstitch wheel, i just don't use a grover because of all the curves in the pieces. I've had my first wallet for 6 months and the stitching's fine, i really think it'd be hard to bust a stitch, no?

Yep, indenting the stitches would be largely a cosmetic improvement on a wallet. It's important to indent on something like a sheath because minor abrasions in the field will wear the stitching out over time. But this isn't necessary on a wallet unless you like the way it looks.

I don't blame you for not wanting to use a groover on all those curves!

Edited by abn

Love those wallets. They're beautiful.

Some Japanese craftsmanship is beautiful. I remember watching an elderly man make a wooden chest with inlaid wood when I was in grade school and sitting there fascinated at his patience and skill.

Your stitches are beautiful, but I'd suggest trying to recess them a little. Someone like my husband who abuses the hell out of his wallets or myself, who is just a klutz would end up ripping them out by catching them on something.