Sign in to follow this  
ArcherBen

Looking for input on Checkbook Cover Design & Idea

I'm thinking about building a checkbook cover for my fiance for Valentines Day and looking for some advice and critique of my design. The basic design is as follows:

1- The main body of the checkbook cover would be cut out of black sharkskin.

2- On the front of the checkbook, inlay in an oval shape a piece of green (her favorite color) stringray with the mother of pearl area in the center.

3- Line the inside and create the inside pockets out of 1.5-2 oz lining leather.

4- Hand stitch with black thread.

Here's a simple mockup pic of what I envision the front to look like when the checkbook is folded closed:

checkbookcover1.jpg

This is the color of stingray I would use:

StingrayAppleLong.gif

Comments and/or Suggestions? Also, I'm horrible at this Valentines Day stuff so any feedback from women on this site as to whether or not this is even a good idea for a gift would be very appreciated.

Well from the looks of your other threads I think you have enough knowledge and know how to undertake the task.

Just remeber that stingray is not the easiest critter to work with. What you are describing should come out looking great and Im sure she will like it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. This will be my first project working with a material other than veg tan, so we'll see how it goes. It will also be my first attempt at a rolled edge. I've looked at the Wallet Binding Tutorial by Kevin King and it looks pretty straight forward, but I'm sure it's going to be a lot more challenging than it looks. I've also been searching posts of stringray projects, and like you've stated, it sounds like it will be a challenge. I'm hoping that by using it in an inlay that I can easily hide any cutting imperfections and crushed pebbles from the sewing.