Sign in to follow this  
Nooj

Can I Do This One Handed?

So, I broke my scapula in a couple of places in a motorcycle accident this past Friday. Now I have all this free time from work... but cant do anything cuz I've only got one arm to use (minimally, at that).

Are there any one handed leatherworkers out there?

I guess it's situational... but I suddenly want to make a leather arm sling with this oil tanned side I have sitting here (I planned on making chaps with it). Anybody seen a tandy pattern pack for that? :dunno:

I guess when cabin fever sets in bad enough I'll figure out some way to get it done...

Nooj

I have an old Virbra-Tool which would allow one to do tooling with one hand. It is basically an oscillating vibrator that holds a tool and the vibrations do the same as tapping the tool with a mallet. I have seen pictures on this site of pneumatic systems, all back yard mechanic made. I also so one that was about the size of a thumb and was used by a silver engraver.

The other thing you might try is leather burning. This is similar to wood burning and would look like a black tattoo. Tandy sells a leather burning kit. You might also look at wood burning kits since it is all the same principal.

Bill

Take a look at the holsters and accessories by member "Shorts". She does it with one hand.

I would think that a lot could be done using 'c' clamps and stitching horses to hold the leather while you work on it. I would think that stamping could be quite a challenge though.