Sign in to follow this  
bryanma71

Strap End Patterns

Howdy Ya'll...

First of all, I have to say this has gotta be the best leather crafters site out there.:thankyou: Now to my problem... I'm looking for a set of Strap end patterns. There are so many ways to end straps. I don't have any problems with geometrical shapes; but, curved ends are a pain in the ***. So does any one have some patern that I can lay on the straps and trace it for a smooth and cimetrical end?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Bryan,

May not be the best solutions, but I'll give it a shot. I almost always use a strap end punch of some type. Tandy has quite a few, however, if they don't solve your problem and you want to cut them manually then I suggest two things one is a compass or protractor to put an arc to your specs, the other would be to get several pill bottles or the like of various diameters and use the one that fits your application the most to mark the end cut line. The tool I would recommend looks like this.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Tools/Punches/3151-462.aspx?feature=Product_4

Bryan hope this helps you. when i started out doing leather work i went to the Hardware Store and bought

Washers in sizes from 3/4 of an inch all the way up to 2", then i was able to cut my belt & strap ends

very uniform, of course they were 1/2 round. it worked for me...

I use a "circle stencil" left over from my drafting/engineering days. Match up the leather with the closest hole, mark it, and cut w/ scissors.