RoyalLeatherDesigns

Patching Sewing Machines

I was surprised when I seen the specs on the Cobra Patcher and the thread size it took was # 46 to #69 why not a more than that. I would imagine that you would want to use a thicker thread if you were going to sew a design on some boots right or am I wrong or thread #69 is usually used. Can you use thicker thread on these machines surpassing the specs or is it not possible or recommended.

Cobra Class 29-18 Patch Machine features a 18" Cylinder Arm. Will sew leather and fabrics up to 1/4" (20 oz) in thickness. Ideally suited for stitching on patches and emblems. Presser foot turns in 360 degrees which allows the machine to sew in any direction. The large Balance wheel can be mounted either on the end of the main shaft or on the front of the machine. All backed by our "Limited Lifetime Warranty".

Specifications:

Shoe Patch Machine

18" Arm

Big Bobbin

46 or 69 Thread

5-25 SPI

Sews up to 20 oz

Digital D.C. Servo Motor

Heavy Duty Speed Reducer

Pedestal Stand on Wheels

Accessories

post-44756-0-39990200-1378293653_thumb.j

I suspect that the Cobra patcher should be able to use the same size thread as the Cowboy CB29 machines, shown here. It handles up to #138 thread.

I think the time has come around these parts to just pin a topic "All things Singer 29 class and clones click here".

I would imagine that you would want to use a thicker thread if you were going to sew a design on some boots right or am I wrong or thread #69 is usually used.

Patchers are not used in the construction of boots, they are used in the repair. If you were going to sew a design on the side of a boot it likely would be done with a flatbed machine.

But you would save a lot of time if you did it if the boot was finished and it is something that you wanted to do after the fact. I checked the Cowboy patcher and it does take thread #138 meanwhile the Cobra only takes #69. We should probably ask Steve about this.