Reds Leather

Fixing The Backside Of My Machine Stitch...

All. I'm having trouble with the backside stitch of my machine. I have a cowboy 4500 but the backside stitch is horrible. Un-dyed leather pushes through and the holes/stitching are just ugly...

Anyone know of a fix?

Overstitchers can sure help clean up the appearance of stitches on the backside. Here's an oldie but a goodie example I have of the backside of two stitchlines. The one on the left is as came out of the machine, The line in the right was rolled with an appropriate sized overstitch wheel.

post-29-0-60553500-1406004765_thumb.jpg

Do you have a brand new, sharp needle in your machine? That makes a big difference. Also, it could just be the leather you're using. Some leather, (usually the less expensive kinds) look sloppy on the back side. Having a little moisture in the leather can help. It seems like most of the time, no matter what you do, the back side of a piece sewn on a threaded needle machine will never look as good as one that was sewn on a hook and awl machine. But everything's a compromise.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Overstitchers can sure help clean up the appearance of stitches on the backside. Here's an oldie but a goodie example I have of the backside of two stitchlines. The one on the left is as came out of the machine, The line in the right was rolled with an appropriate sized overstitch wheel.

Bruce, thank you! Do you use the overstitch wheel before you go to sew? And do you need several wheel sizes to match the stitch length? My only issue would be is that my stitching may not be as perfect as others... i may or may not get off track at some point or maybe decide to change the path of my sewing and then would not be on the overstitch path.

Do you have a brand new, sharp needle in your machine? That makes a big difference. Also, it could just be the leather you're using. Some leather, (usually the less expensive kinds) look sloppy on the back side. Having a little moisture in the leather can help. It seems like most of the time, no matter what you do, the back side of a piece sewn on a threaded needle machine will never look as good as onute that was sewn on a hook and awl machine. But everything's a compromise.

The needle is fairly new. The machine doesnt get used a lot. I would agree with the quality of the leather. Its definitely not top grade. I will start with maybe getting the leather wet to see if that helps with the needle busting through. But what about sewing leather that has already been dyed? I realized there will be sooooome flaw due to the machine stitch, but it dont believe it should be that ugly!

Thanks!!

The overstitch wheel is used after sewing to clean up the backside stitches. Yes, you need to have the size wheel that will match your stitch length. If you have good wheels with good points they will follow the stitch line even if it wanders a bit. The problem I see is that most of the modern made overstitchers have gotten so poor that the points are shallow and blunt even on the 5/6/7 common sizes. They will not press into the hole or round over the stitch. I have attached a picture of a pretty good old #7 wheel. It'll still do the job 100 years later.

post-29-0-39410500-1406046672_thumb.jpg

For an overstitch wheel, that one sure is purdy Bruce.

Needle, needle, tension, tension

If the needle is good and the bobbin and thread tension is correct I just tap the back side down with a cobbler's hammer.