Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Burgundy/wine Colored Dye

I need a custom dye color mixed for a bib job I'm working on. A Burgundy/ Wine color per the client's request to match the two tone paint on his bike, black & burgundy. I wanted a true color instead of using a trick like brown antique over red as true burgundy has a hint of blue and yellow per my color charts. So, after some research and mix testing, here it is. Unfortunately, Fiebing doesn't make some of the colors needed so Eco-Flow was used.

18 parts Scarlet Red

10 parts Evening Blue

4 parts Sunshine Yellow

If you want/need a little darker, add 1-2 parts of Coal Black until you have the shade you want.

I used a liquid medicine measuring syringe from the local drugstore (cost about $3) to do the measurements in CCs. Makes about 4-5 tsp or dye, which a quite a bit when airbrushing it on. Computers don't show color differences that well, but here are a few sample shots:

Here's the test panel against my black & silver tank:

2010-12-04140113.jpg

Here it is against my medium brown denim jacket so show the difference:

2010-12-04140057.jpg

Good looking color, and thank you for sharing it with us. If I may make a suggestion, look around at some feed stores for you syringes. I picked mine up for about 30 cents apiece.

Good looking color, and thank you for sharing it with us. If I may make a suggestion, look around at some feed stores for you syringes. I picked mine up for about 30 cents apiece.

Thanks for the tip TwinOaks...now I just need to find a feed store near downtown Los Angeles. hehe...not too many horses where I live (unless you count the iron kind) ;)

Also, if you have an old ink cartridge refill kit, or know someone who refills his own cartridges, there is a syringe that comes with each kit.