zaynexpetty

New. Where To Buy Good Quality Leather?

I am new to leatherworking. I bought a 6 oz side of discount Veg Tan from Tandy and a 4 oz Veg Tan shoulder. I have been working with them both, and while the shoulder quality doesnt seem too bad. The side could be better. The flesh side seems really uneven and full of long fibers. I don't know if thats a normal thing or not. I hear tandys leather isnt that great overall. I hear amazing things about horweens chromexcel, among others, but I'm assuming it is really expensive. I also have heard that springfeild has some decent leather.

All in all, I want to buy some good quality leather without spending a ton of money for making belts, collars, wallets, key fobs, etc... What are some good suggestions?

Thanks

Zayne

Check out Springfield Leather. just google them they have a great web site and carry Herman Oak as well as imported leather. Then there is Wickett and Craig in Currensville Pa great leather too.

I think I will check out springfeild. You aren't the first person to have suggested them. This is going to be a dumb question: What is the difference between regular veg tan and hermann oak? Just better grain/grade?

Also try RJF Leather great service and leather quality

Yes Herman Oak is a higher quality of leather. The lower quality sides and shoulders are great practice material, but if you want good quality in the end result,you must put good quality in at the start. Everyone is always looking for cheaper leather, cheaper hardware, cheaper lace, etc. Find a quality product line that you can live with and price your end product accordingly. You wont be sorry. JM2C

Yes Herman Oak is a higher quality of leather. The lower quality sides and shoulders are great practice material, but if you want good quality in the end result,you must put good quality in at the start. Everyone is always looking for cheaper leather, cheaper hardware, cheaper lace, etc. Find a quality product line that you can live with and price your end product accordingly. You wont be sorry. JM2C

Honestly, that's how I look at it. Eventually I would like to be only purchasing full grain leather, but I don't have the budget for that at the moment.

When you say "the lower quality sides and shoulders are great practice material" you arent referring any Hermann Oak cuts are you?

Also try RJF Leather great service and leather quality

+1 for Roger