slalik

first hide, pretty rough

I'm very new at this, and just bought my first hide. but it is pretty rough( grainy) on what is supposed to be the smooth side. Is there a way to smooth it down more?

Thanks!

Sara

I dont know how much this would help, but you could try casing it up and slick it with a peice of glass.

Hi, Sara,

Hand smoothing (slicking) the grain side might work as Tkleather1 suggested, but it could be a real challenge too. You didn't say what kind of leather you are working with, and that is a critical issue. Your best bet is if your leather is a decent quality vegetable tanned leather intended for saddles (skirting) or tooling and carving projects. If it is a chrome tanned leather, or if the tannery has embossed the texture into the hide, you will probably not have much luck. Poorly tanned leather may not smooth out either -- don't ask me why I know that! :head_hurts_kr:

Is the textured area near the neck or belly of the critter? If so, those textured areas are probably from the folds around the neck, "armpit" and flank areas. Again, that might be tough to remove -- the tannery may have already done about as much as can be done to smooth those areas. If it is a texture from large hair follicles -- pig is a notable example -- I'm afraid you're stuck with it.

To smooth the leather, you will want to dampen the leather with water and wait until the surface of the leather has almost returned to its dry color. Then use a smooth, hard, flat tool, such as a smooth dowel to rub the surface. The "official" tool for this type of thing is called a "slicker", but not everyone will have one and Improvising is Good. After smoothing, let the leather dry completely.

I'd also say that if you have the option to return the hide, you may want to consider that option. A reputable dealer should be willing to make an exchange, if not a refund, so you'll only be out shipping. Next order, talk to someone by phone and tell them exactly what you're looking for!

--DeeAnna

Thanks all! I should have been more specific....it's veg tanned cow hide 3-4 oz. the roughness isn't from a fold( I actually don't mind that) it's just as though it wasn't smoothed all the way down, almost slightly sueded in areas. I know it's not top quality( I can't afford that right now) I hope that's a better description.......:)

I'll try the "slicking" method and see if that works!

hi sara,

may i ask where you bought the leather? and what exactly was it called? was it labeled as tooling leather or something else? when you said "slightly sueded in areas" it made me thing you might have gotten something different than what you were wanting. was it the veg tan splits from tandy item number 9826-00?

ken

hi sara,

may i ask where you bought the leather? and what exactly was it called? was it labeled as tooling leather or something else? when you said "slightly sueded in areas" it made me thing you might have gotten something different than what you were wanting. was it the veg tan splits from tandy item number 9826-00?

ken

Hi Ken,

It wasn't from tandy, but I did find out that it was a split :(, which is not what I wanted. I'm gonna try to smooth it more, but if I can't, I'll use it for practice......unless there are any other ideas?

Thanks!

Sara

Please send it back ! splits are not hides suitable for tooling. They are generally used for clothes.