Sign in to follow this  
rayne100

How do I upload an avatar image?

Hello-

I seem to be a bit computer illiterate. I was trying to add a picture for my avatar but I do not have a url to add it with. My pictures are stored on my desktop. is there anyway to show them?

Jessica

in the avatar section of y our control panel..bellow the area that is asking for a url there is one that says "upload from my computer" that box has a button that says "browse" ...click that button...it will bring up a screen that will let you navigate through your computer to find the image

It seems like we should have some Avatars or pictures which are leather oriented.

How would one make a " moving " GIF loop ( are all gifs loops by definition ?) which would show a carved flower being produced ?

Thanks,Greg

the avatar you're describing sounds a bit complex...i do however agree that if admin could find a "stock avatar pack" that at least remotely resembled leather working...that would be neat...but that's pretty difficult to find...

theoretically depending on where the GIF is being displayed...they tend to already be looped...but usually (depending on the software used to create said GIF) there are settings within the GIF to loop it or stop upon completion

It looks like a series of pictures just like a movie... why could we not put a stationary camera above a flower in the process of being made... then accumulate them to a GIF file ?

I see other things like that on forums ... people make their own GIF signatures...

i'm not saying it couldn't be done...nor am i saying that it wouldn't be "neato mosquito nifty cool" hehe...but depending on the image quality and amount of images...it would probably be a very large file...and would take a while to load on dial-up...s'all i'm saying

My father did a nifty flower using only a camo tool... maybe 12 or 16 strokes... image resolution can be adjusted after the fact if it is too big a file...

but what are the steps ... I assume jpeg is ok for the original ?

yeah...any file type would be fine for the originals...then you'd need to import them into a gif creator/editor and put them in the right order...with whatever transitions you would want...do you have gif animation software already?

hehe...sorry...i think i misunderstood the first question that you asked...i thought you were asking a diff questioin than what you were

...well i use photoshop cs2 and image ready (kind of a sinle package) but...that would sureley be overkill for anything you'd be wanting to use it for ($700+)

i've rarely used anything else so my suggestions don't really help much here...

did a quick search on www.tucows.com and foud some gif animators that suggest that they are free...but i can't really base any claims on usability

also did a search on snapfiles (sometimes a little more reliable than tucows) http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.php?...t=gif+animation and got a bunch of free trials

alternately...if the only reason you want a gif editor...is so that you can make a single avatar just for this site....you could email me the pictures to include in the gif (named in order of appearance i.e. pic1, pic2, pic3, etc..) and i could create one for you

NOW WE ARE COOKING WITH GAS !!!

Will try to make pictures of the flower and send to you...

Thanks, Greg

alternately...if the only reason you want a gif editor...is so that you can make a single avatar just for this site....you could email me the pictures to include in the gif (named in order of appearance i.e. pic1, pic2, pic3, etc..) and i could create one for you

for the pictures you're sending me...make sure they're of the quality that you want....i can do some file size manipulation to make the image small enough to be usable...but anything i do to shrink the file will make the image a little lower in quality...so if i start out with a substandard pic...the final result will be worse

No problem , I will send HQ closeups of what I do....

Thanks, Greg

for the pictures you're sending me...make sure they're of the quality that you want....i can do some file size manipulation to make the image small enough to be usable...but anything i do to shrink the file will make the image a little lower in quality...so if i start out with a substandard pic...the final result will be worse

i do however agree that if admin could find a "stock avatar pack" that at least remotely resembled leather working...that would be neat...but that's pretty difficult to find...

The avatar packs on this board are the standard IPB ones, however, any picture can be uploaded as an avatar. Irfanview is a free graphics editor if you need to crop or shrink a picture. You can't demonstrate leather carving in an avatar- too many constraints. However, the monkey posseses great Photoshop skill, and I'm sure you could get a cool custom avatar from him. But if you want someone to see you work, the avatar spot isn't the place to do it, and moving (animated) avatars are so annoying to some people that the board even has an option to disable them. If you want to do a demonstration, Greg, let's just film it, upload it with it's own link and do it right. In fact, if anyone wants to do any tutorials, I'll set up a library dedicated to archiving. Hey, dsenette, if you happen to see any good leatherworking avatar packs on the 'net, snag them for me, please? The closest I came was carpentry.

Johanna

My father did a nifty flower using only a camo tool... maybe 12 or 16 strokes... image resolution can be adjusted after the fact if it is too big a file...

but what are the steps ... I assume jpeg is ok for the original ?

why could we not put a stationary camera above a flower in the process of being made... then accumulate them to a GIF file ?

I misunderstood. But I think it would be great to have videos of leatherworkers in action available on the site. Pictures do say a thousand words. Avatars are too small to do a project like that justice.

Johanna

:cow: