Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Rear Fender Bib

Over the last few weeks with being off work & home with the baby and mama to help out, I needed something to do in my down time so I decided to figure out making the rear fender bibs for my bike model (Shadow Aero 750). Naturally, I needed something with my leather biz name and logo on it and figured while I was at it I'd throw a business card holder on there too. icon_wink.gif?m=1306998945g In the first pic I put my old store bought Mustang fender bib next to the one I made to show the improvement in quality and materials. It attaches via the OEM bolt location on the fender for the non-existent rear passenger seat and a bit of velcro sewn into the bib up front. The velcro attaches about 1.5" under the seat so even when removed there is no sign the bib was installed.

Background pattern was done using the pebbler tools from SLC. I bought 10 of them and reground them to various profiles so I can fit them into any area needed. By using one randomly, then a second randomly and then filling in to complete the pattern. Strangest part was wet molding the bib to the fender so it would lay down correctly when installed. Fortunately I have a spare fender in the shop so after tooling, punching, etc. I bolted the back down via the factory location, and massaged the leather into shape with a piece of felt as a spacer under it. Once down, I wrapped it with saran wrap to keep in place without marking it. The felt spacer left just enough room for the leather to dry and harden into shape.

The leather used is the Wickett & Craig tooling leather pre-dyed in black. Not having to dye the piece saved quite a bit of time and the color tone is very nice. First time using the pre-dyed leather from them, I'll definitely do it again.

Enjoy!

Chris

P.S. and because I know Roo will ask, I added a pic of the back to show the felt liner and velcro placement. ;) The felt was glued on oversized and then trimmed with a sharp pair of shears at a steep angle so it lays under the lacing to protect the paint but doesn't show at all when installed.

post-10543-081556000 1309903715_thumb.jp

post-10543-048666500 1309903727_thumb.jp

post-10543-007027200 1309903746_thumb.jp

Edited by Spinner

Nice job Spinner !!

Nice job Spinner !!

Thanks dirtclod!

spinner, thats just beautiful... i love the card holder!!!! The pre dyed leather looks very nice... i have never seen anything like it here and am just a tad jealous of the supplies that you have access too. thanks for the under view...lol

cheers

Hah, too funny - just spent a bunch of time yesterday bringing in a side of veg and side of latigo to get going on one for my ride as well ;0)

I've got a rally to attend next weekend and thought that a little bit of billboard action wouldn't hurt ;0) As we get a fair amount of rain here, I'm going a different route rather than shaping mine. I'm going to stitch a layer of latigo underneath the tooled veg, and then a thin felt under that. Am hoping that the latigo will help keep moisture, that will likely get absorbed by the felt, from wicking into the tooled leather - a rainforest experiment ;0) It should also keep the braiding just that little bit higher away from the paint when the fender's loaded. It won't hug the curve of the fender but should end up being pretty beefy. If it ends up that I don't like it as much as formed, I'll make another for show and keep the tuff one for road trips when my luggage is likely to beat it up.

I like the cardholder idea - good thinking - won't steal it as I'm pretty anal retentive about people going near my bike and don't want to give them an excuse, but great idea :)

Nice work!