jessebeckham

Duffle Bag Weight

I am wanting to make a nice heavy duffle/weekender bag for myself as well as to advertise and am curious what a good weight would be to use. I typically use 8-10oz on most projects but am not sure if a heavier weight would be too stiff.

I will be using squared ends with rounded corners and plan to do solid Sheridan tooling on the ends... Just for anyone interested.

-any suggestions on dying the large pieces and getting even color would be nice too. (No airbrush).

Thanks ahead of time!

Anyone?

Since no one else has answered, I'll chime in. I prefer 8-10 ounce as well, and would use it for a duffel bag. Because that is a stout thickness, I would leave the bag's design relatively simple to keep it from being too heavy.

As for stiffness, much of that can be avoided by oiling the leather with neatsfoot oil or so. Bear in mind that neatsfoot will darken most leather, and not consistently. I find that oil softens leather quite a bit and that the darkening fades partly and leaves a nice look.

As for dyeing consistently, I would recommend several light coats in different directions (or overlapping swirls). I have never applied with an airbrush, and sometimes use bits of wool as an applicator. I have had success with cheap disposable foam paint brushes or painting "blocks".

By using several lighter coats, it is possible to compensate for lighter areas with a little extra dye in that section during the next coat.

Hope this helps some,

-J

Thanks johnv ! I have since started the bag, and once I got the support straps sewn on i applied the oil and it helped tremendously! I decided against dying the whole bag, instead I've tooled the end caps and put a light antique on the ends... well end, Ive still got to tool the other end and get it sewn on. After I get it all sewn up im going to apply a little more oil and then a finish on it. 600146_293251147487248_1520138903_n.jpg