gunter

Us Cavalry Boots 1886

howdy fellow crafters,

I'm looking for a pattern to make myself a pair of cavalryboots for re-enacting purposes, yes I know I can buy them, but I would like to make them myself...... my old boots are totaly "busted" and seeing there age - 100 years old - have served well :-) . the have earned there place under a puppet and a uniform ;-).

Is there anyone that ever made this type of boots or can help me in a direction so I can start a long wanted to start project?

cheers,

Gunter

If you get any real good answers, Gunter, . . .I'd be interested too.

I would like to actually see a picture of an "old" pair, . . . if you try to Google it, . . . you get so many different versions, . . . opinions, . . . you don't know what to believe.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have produced many items of tack and leather for years covering the US Cavalry from the Civil War through World War II. This has taken many years of study and gathering of information such as regulations, ordinance reports, thousands of pictures and viewing originals. I am no expert but have found this is a very confusing subject because of the influence of Hollywood. To add to the confusion is that not may pictures were taken or survived from this time period. Below is the information from the Ordnance reports that I have from 1872 and then from 1898. The 1872 talks about boots above the swell of the calf of the leg and of shoes being issued. I have studied many pictures of the era and issue items must have been difficult to get. Many of the troops filled in with a wide variety of civilian items both uniform and horse tack. A wide variety of foot ware was used; boots with trousers over, shoes with and with out leggins,

Jumping to the 1898 Spanish American war many pictures show most enlisted men wearing the shoes with brown canvas duck tops and leggins. The pictures look like high-top boots but are not. I have been confused about the 1880's in many aspects of what was used and what to make for leather goods.

REGULATIONS

FOR THE

UNIFORM AND DRESS

OF THE

ARMY OF THE UNITED STATES

JULY, 1872

BOOTS AND SHOES.

For all Officers: Shall be of black leather and come above the ankle.

For Enlisted Men of Cavalry and Light Artillery: Boots, to come above the swell of the calf of the leg; shoes, Jefferson rights and lefts, according to pattern.

For Enlisted Men of Artillery, Infantry, Engineers, and Ordnance, and all other Enlisted Men: Jefferson rights and lefts, according to pattern.

Top-boots may be worn by mounted men.

UNIFORM AND DRESS

OF THE

ARMY OF THE UNITED STATES

Compiled in the

Office of the Quartermaster General, U.S.A.

Second Edition, June 20, 1898

TOP BOOTS

22. ALL MOUNTED OFFICERS - According to pattern in the office of the Quartermaster General, to be worn on all mounted duty; provided, however, that all mounted officers, except those of cavalry and mounted artillery, may, on all occasions, when not otherwise directed by the post commander or other superior authority, exercise their discretion as to the duty on which the boots are to be worn.

BOOTS AND SHOES

37. The Quartermaster's Department manufactures the boots and shoes for the Army of the best materials and patterns possible. No particular pattern is adopted as uniform.

BARRACK SHOES

38. For all enlisted men, according to pattern in the office of the Quartermaster General. Uppers to be of brown cotton duck.

LEGGINGS

40. ALL TROOPS - Of brown cotton duck, according to patterns in the office of the Quartermaster General, to be worn on marches and campaigns, will be charged to the enlisted men, but do not form part of the annual money allowance for clothing. (1187, A. R.)

I have a couple more books and places to look, but don't have them at hand right know. Sorry this doesn't help with a pattern or a picture of what they actually wore.

Bobby R

Edited by Treed

Thanks, Treed, . . . I guess from what you posted, . . . that is why I have seen so many different looking "examples".

Do you have any pictures you can share of actual boots used, . . . say in the 1860's thru 1880's? Would appreciate it if you did, . . . am curious about mainly the shape of the toes and height of the heels.

Anyway, thanks, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

This subject piqued my interest, so I did a little searching and I found this pic. For what it's worth, the boot on the right is a size 5, originally made in 1863 and is unworn. It is an Artillery Driver's boot. Information says that it , unlike today's boots, has a pegged sole. It also says that this boot is 10" tall from the sole to the top, and has a molded front. Information also says that this boot was replaced as issue in 1872, with a taller boot that was 14" tall and meant to reach above the calf, and was also issued to mounted cavalry. There is also a lot more information out there, just search Pictures of 1880's Cavalry Uniforms. It sound like short of having a pair of boots that some relative wore during that time, a case could be made for almost any style, and was OK with the US Quartermaster, since the Quartermaster Corps, had soooo many regs on the subject, (anyone having been in the service can attest that this still exists today). Hope that helps!

Bob

post-8161-067155900 1339941697_thumb.jpg

A year or so ago I was at the US 7th Cav Museum in Sturgis South Dakota (http://fortmeademuseum.org/fmm/).

They have lots of photos there and have boots, saddles and other tac on display. They even have an old Harley in the basement on display... Now I wish I had taken some photos. I don’t know they would be of anyhelp but It would not hurt to ask…

DBP

thanks for all your replies, I'll will send an e-mail to the museum, maybe they can help. And the picture shown above, yes these are the boots I am looking for!

I found the boots I wanted overhere, but they will cost me about $ 500, and for that amount of money I think i can make them myself. The shoemaker around the corner is willing to install the soles, If I make the upper part. SOoooooooooo I thinkit's worth a try, no?

should I find a pattern, that has no copyright, I'll share it for sure ;-)

cheers,

GUnter

howdy fellow crafters,

I'm looking for a pattern to make myself a pair of cavalryboots for re-enacting purposes, yes I know I can buy them, but I would like to make them myself...... my old boots are totaly "busted" and seeing there age - 100 years old - have served well :-) . the have earned there place under a puppet and a uniform ;-).

Is there anyone that ever made this type of boots or can help me in a direction so I can start a long wanted to start project?

cheers,

Gunter

Why don't you take the pair you have been using apart and use them as a pattern?