Grov

New Leatherworker, Please Comment

I've been unemployed a while and decided to take up a hobby to keep my hands and mind busy while I job hunt. I find myself chock full of ideas and not nearly the skill, yet, to get it all done. Here are a few of my pieces so far. Please be honest. I thrive on feedback. It'll only make me a better a better craftsman. That, and a lot more practice. As my skill and resources increase, I will only tackle more and bigger projects.

Green Scale at Scarby.jpg

Custom Butterfly.jpg

Green DScale Barrette.jpg

Dad's Belt.jpg

post-15151-1276056677_thumb.jpg

post-15151-127605670626_thumb.jpg

post-15151-127605672975_thumb.jpg

post-15151-127605676923_thumb.jpg

Howdy.

I don't feel qualified to offer much critique, but I wanted to say I enjoyed looking at your work. I really like the diamond pattern on the wrist straps (sorry, I don't know what to call them)

Tim

Looks like your off with a good start, mind and imagination is key to continue. Check out stuff here and ask lots of questions will take you further.

Good looking edges is a neat thing and kinda tricky to make. Look up edge beveling and edge slicking via boards search function and just keep practising, in time you'll develop more accuraccy with knife and swivelcuts, painting etc.

Good luck!!

Tom

Hi Grov!

Welcome to LW! You are showing a lot of potential already. The people here are quite friendly and many have lots of experience. Take close up pics of work you want them to analyze and post in the "Critique My Work" section. Some folks don't want to say too much at first because they don't want to discourage anyone who has been recently bitten by the leather bug.

I noticed you chose a tri weave stamp for the belt. Those are hard, and from what I see, you did a nice job of it. Keep up the good work, and make yourself at home. The coffee is always fresh and the cookies are good.

Johanna

welcome.gif

You're doing good stuff there. I just have to echo what Tom and Johanna said with one additional thing; stay away from the donuts, just saying... :D

Input, practice, practice, practice. It looks like you are gonna do ok.

Where are the cookies?

Looks good man.

I am in the tool accumulation phase of leather working. I have not made anything yet.

I just bought a few used stamps. Need to get some leather and sewing stuff and hopefully i'll be ready to lay my idea down.

Mac Tech Bri

Thanks guys. I don't come here as much as I probably should but it's nice to be welcomed. I've continued to practice and am currently on the hunt for a pattern or examples of a war belt. Wide like a girdle. It's for my renaisance garb.