Whit30

What Would You Do With This Artwork?

Hello everyone, I hopw this isw the right place to place this question. Im kind of mixed on ideas how to tool this artwork. This will go on a portfolio for my twin and I messed around using differant images. If you were going yo do this, how would you do it? inverted carving? I thought the decorative lines inside the design would work for swivwel knife lines, Would you invert or tool down the helmet itself or leave it raised and tool down?

My first thought and the more I think about it I start to question myself was this.

Just carve the outline of the feathers on top of the helmet, tool down the dark areas inside the helmet, (if looking at the artwork with the white border) cut the decorative lines inside the dark grey area and tooling down the light grey areas of the artwork.

Any suggestions or thought of how you would aproach this would be greatly appreciated Also would you consider changing the checkered cross to a solid cross while tooling down the shield leaving the cross lifted up or vise versa by tooling down the cross leaving the shield lifted up.

Thank you for the help and advice!

post-14079-041677300 1292915280_thumb.jp

post-14079-041185400 1292915294_thumb.jp

Hello everyone, I hopw this isw the right place to place this question. Im kind of mixed on ideas how to tool this artwork. This will go on a portfolio for my twin and I messed around using differant images. If you were going yo do this, how would you do it? inverted carving? I thought the decorative lines inside the design would work for swivwel knife lines, Would you invert or tool down the helmet itself or leave it raised and tool down?

My first thought and the more I think about it I start to question myself was this.

Just carve the outline of the feathers on top of the helmet, tool down the dark areas inside the helmet, (if looking at the artwork with the white border) cut the decorative lines inside the dark grey area and tooling down the light grey areas of the artwork.

Any suggestions or thought of how you would aproach this would be greatly appreciated Also would you consider changing the checkered cross to a solid cross while tooling down the shield leaving the cross lifted up or vise versa by tooling down the cross leaving the shield lifted up.

Thank you for the help and advice!

Hi,

I'm not sure if I would call this art, it is a coat of arms, a family crest. These crest belongs to some family (?) All symbols and colors means something special in the world of crests and are specifically made to a certain family and it should not be changed. Just make sure who has the right to this symbol before using it if it is not your family.

Now carving, inverted sounds like a really great idea and usually looks very clean and nice when colored.

Good Luck//Tina

Thank you for your suggestion and advice. This is our family "Crest" or coat of arms. Artwork may not have been the correct term but was just a way of describing the "image" of the coat of arms. Thank you for taking the time to reply

Hi,

I'm not sure if I would call this art, it is a coat of arms, a family crest. These crest belongs to some family (?) All symbols and colors means something special in the world of crests and are specifically made to a certain family and it should not be changed. Just make sure who has the right to this symbol before using it if it is not your family.

Now carving, inverted sounds like a really great idea and usually looks very clean and nice when colored.

Good Luck//Tina

I have done two coat of arms projects, and one clan crest. I did all of them with traditional carving. Look at the image to see which pieces would be in the forground, and tool those first, then keep going to the pieces which would be behind them. I ended up using three different sizes of bevels, and a triangular shaped figure carving bevel as well. If I was tooling that one, and not doing all the colors, I would tool it as normal, and do the checks with light swivel knife cuts. So for carving, I would trace the entire design, and then tool in this order:

Crown/ armor piece.

Rope/ feathers (if a small piece, I would do the outside lines of the feather, and add the interior texture with a modeling spoon.)

Decorative scroll stuff to the sides

Name banner/ Name

shield

cross on shield

Checks on cross

I would make sure I paid attention to the depth of cuts and beveling on each level to give the right sense of depth. Hope that helps.

One other thing to check- I am Scottish. I have a right to use my Clan Crest, but the Coat of Arms belongs to the recognized lord of the clan, and I can't use it. Not sure if that applies to all Coat of Arms, but it's worth looking into.

Edited by azrider