Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Bosal progress

I am undecided if I think the core plaiting is good enough or if I will cut it off and try again. I think the string is a touch too small in width and a bit to thick for the size I was wanting as well. I was shooting for 3/8 but this is more like 7/16 or 15/32. Oh and it does have a bit of twist to the pattern too. I am trying to decide between finishing it out for practice and then doing another one to use or redoing it trying to get it right. Thoughts?

The braided core:

4083961472_950c41ca42_o.jpg

Here is the covered core with 8 plaits:

4083950682_591e2cd45d_o.jpg

When venturing into unknown territory I tend to have plenty of extra string so if an 8 plait won't cover, I can add 2 or 4 more strings to cover. And not very many people will look to see if the pattern is O2,U2 or O2,U3 or U2,O2,U3. Another thing that can help a little is that when you are short on string to cover is to be sure and grab hold of your core and shove everthing up everytime you bring a string around. And now you have a nice core for a 1/2 to 5/8 rig. The sting thickness looks good to me, but I'm not real fond of the real thin string outfits.

Rob

I really like the consistency in your width and your strings look very good. I would also like to see your strings closer together and agree with Rob that you need to push up your strings when braiding. If it was mine, I would just braid over the top of it rather than start over as I like a larger diameter for starting my young ones.

Keep Braiding,

Heather

If it was mine, I would just braid over the top of it rather than start over as I like a larger diameter for starting my young ones.

True enough, but this one was for a move down in size on a older horse I started over in the spring.

Mike,

If I were you I would go ahead and finish it. Since its your first one you will probably have issues with other parts as well. You will get a bosal under your belt and work some things out in your mind by finishing it. You will at least have one to use while you make another one. Theres plenty of cows out there so we won't run out of rawhide in our lifetimes.

Yours looks alot better than my first one. I still have it to keep me humble.

Keep us posted.

CW

Well after thinking I'd just finish it then that I should redo it and then that I'd just finish it... I think I'll redo it. I haven't done anything on it in like two weeks, I got the damn flu and haven't felt like doing anything. I am starting to feel human again and worked on cutting some new string last night.

Man I sure am having trouble getting split down to what I would like though. I have this hide that had lots of black gunk on the flesh side. I would like to get it all split off so the string isn't black and I don't trust the black gunk not to cause problems if left. I either get too much bite and split down to paper thin or get almost no bite and don't scrap anything off. Anyone else ever have that problem? I have a big disk of a better hide that I soaked last night, I may just use it instead.

Mike

Well after thinking I'd just finish it then that I should redo it and then that I'd just finish it... I think I'll redo it. I haven't done anything on it in like two weeks, I got the damn flu and haven't felt like doing anything. I am starting to feel human again and worked on cutting some new string last night.

Man I sure am having trouble getting split down to what I would like though. I have this hide that had lots of black gunk on the flesh side. I would like to get it all split off so the string isn't black and I don't trust the black gunk not to cause problems if left. I either get too much bite and split down to paper thin or get almost no bite and don't scrap anything off. Anyone else ever have that problem? I have a big disk of a better hide that I soaked last night, I may just use it instead.

Mike

Mike,

Glad your feeling better. I had a hide I get from Bill Confers that was like that. It didn't cause any problems though. You could see it a little after it was braided up if you were looking for it. As far as the splitting goes, just take the little bites until you get to the thinnest part of your hide. You won't cut your string in two and it won't stretch it as bad if its a little too damp. This can cause some weak spots. It may seem like your wasting time but sometimes you have to slow down to be quick. Saves lots of cussing too.

Good luck,

CW

Ok, here is a bit more progress. First a shot of the core while I was plaiting it:

4144890818_45355f9b71_o.jpg

And then after I finished it. I am much happier this time around. It has a little twist to it and it is 7/16 when I was really shooting for 3/8 but I think it will get the job done. I certainly covers better than the first attempt.

4144133513_d961a621e7_o.jpg

Comments, criticisms, suggestions?

Thanks for looking,

Mike

4151423915_e60cfac9c2_o.jpgA bit more progress. I think I like the bigger ground work in the middle one minute and think I'll cut it off and make a matching knot to the outside ones the next. What do you guys think? Three matching knots or leave the middle one larger?

Edited by megabit

I don't know diddly about bosals, but the braiding has come a long way. Knots look great too. As to size and spacing - that's for someone else.

Progress continues here is the nose button ground work build up about half done:

4156366687_d384bdae3f_b.jpg

And the build up about done but for the guidelines:

4156368021_c3f194a2c4_b.jpg

Well I have the nose button on. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't looktoo bad for my first one. I wish my strings were about 1/32 to 1/16smaller. Here are a couple of pics, what do you guys think?

Here is a progress picture of the nose button.

4180946496_36a492a719_o.jpg

Here it the nose button done.

4180183917_3ba4ffdf67_o.jpg

Well I don't know what you should do but your braiding has come so far I can't help but to tell you how nice everything looks. Well maybe I should suggest something...Leave it!! It's beautiful. If it's not perfect you make the improvements on the next one.

Well I guess I need to get started on the heel knot now. Hell this thing is almost done. :D

4198926776_687626b4b5_o.jpg

Thats a nice little walk through so far, And the braiding looks to be getting better and better as the pictures pile on.

I think you might wanna go over the small knots witha different knot though, beside the long knot with smaller strings it looks a little out of place to me.

I also have to say I love your antler marlin spike, I just picked up a nice antler myself and was thinking about something similar, Your fid looks good too.

Hurry on with the heel knot and show us the finished product.

megabit

The bosal is coming along great. I have to agree with everyone else on seeing the improvement in your braiding and knots. Keep up the good work.

Mike

It is done! Well maybe I may add a Spanish ring above the heel knot if it proves to take too many wraps.(It is a little longer than planned.)

4206184307_136fd0231a_b.jpg

Closeup on the heel knot:

4206942732_0da4f6c41f_b.jpg

Looks like you have the" Ol Rawhide Fever" Looks really good. Clint Haverty

It looks good. And the marked improvement throughout is tremendous.

I can see the final twist you mention and it seems like that is all one way, so you are obviously pulling too tightly on the left side or too loosely on the right, so now you can work on perfecting that.

The heel knot is great, I would be very happy with it.

When it comes down to it you are the one who will see the most problems, take note of them and work on them.

And tell us/me, whats the next project?

Ok, last couple of pics. I added a Spanish Ring knot above the heel knot.

4217389131_0c77f59bbf_b.jpg

Here it is at work:

4218156648_66b420cc2b_b.jpg

Looks real nice for your first bosal. Can't wait to see your next project.