okie44

My First Holster for Someone Other than My Own Use

1911_holster_2.jpg 1911_holster.jpg 1911_holster_3.jpg Ok, I finally decided to make a holster for someone else. Up to now, they have all been for my own use. I enjoy making them, and they are cheaper than buying one from an established maker. Also, I don't ever seem to be able to find one that has all the features I want, so I fiddle around for awhile and come up with what I want. They don't always come out exactly the way I envision, or don't perform the way I want, but that just gives me an excuse to make another one. HA!

Anyway, I decided to make this one for a friend, and see what he thinks of it. If this goes well, I may try and make a few to sell. We'll see. Here are pictures of the one I just finished. It fits a 1911, and uses so many different ideas from others I've seen, that I wouldn't know where to start giving credit to the makers. I'm almost afraid to ask, but let me know what you think. I've picked a lot of information on how to build holsters, what leather to use etc. In many ways tho I still adhear to my patented "lets see if I can find a harder way do this" methods. :smashcomp:

This one is made from Tandy 7-8 oz shoulder, with a little shark trim. I make the holster a little too small for the gun to fit in, and do all the stiching before I stretch the leather to fit. I usually use drug store rubbing alcohol to soak the leather, then work the gun into it. After I get the gun to fit, I use a bone folder, and whatever else is handy to trace and highlight the lines of the gun. After all is the way I want it, I heat it in a toaster oven, to harden it a little. This one, I used Feibings black oil dye, and leather sheen to finish.

post-6341-1221452307_thumb.jpg

post-6341-1221452325_thumb.jpg

post-6341-1221452337_thumb.jpg

Okie

Nice looking holster. I think thats how most holster makers start off. You build a few for yourself, a few for friends, then before you know it, your shipping them around the country with a year or more waiting list.

Yah, I wish!

Randy

"...I heat it in a toaster oven, to harden it a little. This one, I used Feibings black oil dye, and leather sheen to finish."

I think you're on the right track. I would consider steering clear of the "toaster oven" though. It's not necessary, and more likely to cause more problems than it solves.

I think you're on the right track. I would consider steering clear of the "toaster oven" though. It's not necessary, and more likely to cause more problems than it solves.

I agree. I just put them in front of a fan.

You might want to reduce the size of the belt loop unless the customer asked for 1.75" because it will cause the holster to move around. 95% of my holsters have 1.5", 4% 1.25 and only 1% 1.75. You can also bevel the edge on the slots to make it easier and less sharp on the belt slots and aids in slicking the belt slot.

Hope this helps. Very good look and functional holster all in all. Keep up the good work. :D

Thanks to all for the comments, and thanks Bruce, and Srigs for the suggestions. I understand about the belt slot sizes. I wasn't sure about his belt width, but I over did it a little. I have been following the forum for a while, and I have come to respect your opinions and comments. You can't beat real world experience, and I'm always ready to listen to someone who has actually done it themselves. Thanks, John

Well, I have delivered the holster to it's new owner, and after using it a while, he is happy with it. At least, his gun hasn't fallen out of it. :rolleyes: I guess I'll go ahead and make a few and try to sell them through a friend's shop. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see how that goes. :unsure: I'll try to get more pictures as things progress. John

Can't wait to see more of your holster. Keep asking questions.

Nah, I've sold my first holster, I must know it all now! :crazy: Seriously, I worked in electronics and computer maint., and the one thing I learned is, If you ever stop asking questions, and stop learning, you will get left behind in the dust. I enjoy reading the post of other people who ask questions. I learn more from them than I do from some of my own questions. Some time we don't know what we need to ask, and reading someone else questions, turns on the light! I have noticed that several of you who are doing this for a business, still have questions for others. Thanks Srigs, and all. :thankyou::) John

Nah, I've sold my first holster, I must know it all now! :crazy: Seriously, I worked in electronics and computer maint., and the one thing I learned is, If you ever stop asking questions, and stop learning, you will get left behind in the dust. I enjoy reading the post of other people who ask questions. I learn more from them than I do from some of my own questions. Some time we don't know what we need to ask, and reading someone else questions, turns on the light! I have noticed that several of you who are doing this for a business, still have questions for others. Thanks Srigs, and all. :thankyou::) John

Right on

Glad we can help John.

Keep asking questions and posting your work. I'm just a part timer and have a real job but business keeps moving up. So you never know where things will lead. :D