Grandpa

Acrylic Paint And Leather

I'm interested in doing some acrylic leather painting if you will, scenes, critters, maybe flowers etc. I note several references on the 'net saying one should ensure the acrylic paint used is for leather, and others who make no mention of it at all. I've been told too that acrylic is acrylic is acrylic, that it doesn't really matter if it says "for leather" or not. Most items I'd do wouldn't be intended for heavy use, like a wallet for instance, but some could be for light use, like the writing tablet portfolio I'm doing now. Most would be framed pictures though. So I turn to those much more learned than I and ask:

Is acrylic paint "for leather" a necessity or will pretty much any acrylic paint work on leather?

Any other tips, tricks or comments would be greatly appreciated by this newbie leather painter.

Edit: Should have mentioned that the painting would be over carved and tooled images as opposed to just paint on flat leather.

Edited by Grandpa

As with all products, there will be differences between manufacturers and their intended market. Look at cars. A car is a car is a car "could" be a valid statement if all you're doing is going from A to B. But if you're hauling a semi-load of product or racing on the drag strip, then that's obviously not a true statement. The same would go for acrylics. If all you wanna do is get color on something and you're not too concerned with how it will hold up or apply, then by all means "acrylic is acrylic is acrylic". Now, if you want something that applies nice and cleanly and will hold up to use, then it's better to do the research. LOTS of people recommend Angelus Leather Acrylics and I probably wouldn't hesitate to use them. They are formulated for what we do - applying color to LEATHER specifically and they are made to hold up to flexing and use. There are also other brands of non-leather acrylics that have been recommended to me by member's here who get a lot of use out of their products. I'm trying out Golden Fluid Acrylics right now for their metallic colors - so far I'm extremely impressed. I was also told to check out Citadel paints for other colors. They're spendy though and I don't think I can afford to test them out just yet.

I have used the paint from wal mart, folk art band i think and never have had any problems or nobody has something that i painted with has said it didn't hold up.

ive been taught by a world renowned artist to color with dyes...and ive been taught by another world renowned artist to color with acrylics.. in fact i started another project with the same master last wknd, to be colored with acrylics....letta coat of supershene dry overnight...a second coat overnight to be really thorough....thin the colors with water to about the consistency of milk and then build by light layers to the color ya want...can mix and/or blend quite well...colors from wal mart work jus fine

Jwalker

So you don't paint till after you seal with super sheen. And the paint adheres to the super sheen good.

I may have to try that. It would solve the problem of the super sheen or in my case neat lac making the paint run sometimes. Right now I'm trying oil based car model paint. I'll see how it works.

Mike

It would solve the problem of the super sheen or in my case neat lac making the paint run sometimes.

I think the Neatlac is probably your main issue. Lacquer products are really strong and have a tendency to reactivate lots of different products.