snubbyfan

Carving With A V Gouge

I have a degenerative peripheral motor nerve condition. Leatherwork is good therapy for my hands.

I've been wanting to try leather carving but I'm having difficulty controlling a swivel knife. I do have an adjustable v gouge.

vgouge_zps3b032846.jpg

Has anyone used this tool for carving leather?

Edited by snubbyfan

Yes, there is an example of it in one of the Al Stohlman books. I don't have my books handy at the moment so can't tell you exactly which one, I'll get back to you later unless someone else is able to chime in first.

The book is the Leather Tools one it only has about half a page though.

You might want to check out Kara Ginther's work she uses small woodcarving tools which might be a little difficult for you to hold like the swivel knife but it might give you an idea of how it looks compared to swivel knife bevel tool carving.

Hi Snubbyfan

Was looking over older posts and saw yours. If you go on You Tube and search on "Power mallet" you will find some cool videos this guy has for a power leather carving system. Perhaps it might work for you. I read in the comments to the videos of at least one person with health issues who felt this would work for them. Sorry I didnt post a link but I am on my old iPod right now.

Cheers, Tooling around

Hi Snubbyfan

Was looking over older posts and saw yours. If you go on You Tube and search on "Power mallet" you will find some cool videos this guy has for a power leather carving system. Perhaps it might work for you. I read in the comments to the videos of at least one person with health issues who felt this would work for them. Sorry I didnt post a link but I am on my old iPod right now.

Cheers, Tooling around

Thanks I'll check it out.

What specifically is the challenge for you with the swivel knife? if twisting and swiveling the knife is your issue, rather than regulating the pressure, you may want to look into a Tangleboss from Tanglefoot Traders in Nevada. Not sure if they are still in business. The Home page is the only page on his site that works. Take a look at

http://tanglefoottraders.wix.com/tangle-foot-trading#!__tangleboss_swivelknife

and/or try calling him (Tim) at 888-812-9121

I almost got one of these once on Ebay, but I wanted to try one before committing to buy.

Hope this helps!