Modad2010

Stitching Exotics To Liner Leather

So until now I have only used exotics to trim out a holster, mostly on a mouth reinforcement piece. I have recently acquired some pieces of elephant that are large enough to do a full coverage holster. I know that the elephant will have to be stitched to the veg- tan, but my question is about stitching the two together. On a pancake style holster would I stitch the open areas of the holster mouth and open bottom first and then glue the front and back of the holster together and start stitching them together starting in the same needle holes? Should the exotic be wrapped around the edge of the veg-tan or cut to the edge and burnished? I would be very thankful for any info.

So when I do mine....

I cut my standard front shape of leather, then cut the exotic overlay a little bigger all around. If you glue to the grain side, use your awl or some sandpaper or whatever and scuff the leather up a little bit. If you glue to the flesh side then no reason to. This helps create a stronger bond ( maybe it doesnt, but it makes me feel better so..)

Trim the exotic to the size of your front piece that its glued to.

Lay your pattern out and mark your stitch lines on both sides of the gun.

Stitch the top and the bottom(if open bottom)

From there on, build it like a regular holster.

Did you pick up some of the pieces from Springfield? If so, what colors did you get?

Pic for reference of stitching

post-18333-0-26452800-1421035167_thumb.j

I line my holsters with Kangaroo as well as use exotics on the outside. I do just like Shooter described. The veg tanned piece is cut to actual shape and glued to slightly larger exotics/roo.I then trim the exotics/roo to the same size as the veg. Stitching is done on any open areas before attaching front and back pieces together. I do not wrap the exotic around the edges. I treat them as if they were the same as a non exotic edge.

I glue mind to the flesh side and treat the exotic no different than the regular veg tan leather. I made this for myself to carry my M&P 45.

post-14054-0-50547100-1421082134_thumb.j

Thanks everyone! I was kinda figuring that was the way to do it, but just wanted to be sure.

Longtooth, that's a great looking holster.

Shooter, I picked up some black and some butter-cream. The butter-cream is really cool looking. They had quite a bit of dark and light gray and various shades of brown also. The pieces were $15 sq.ft. and some of the up to 4 or 5 sq.ft. Thanks again.

I did get the elephant from SLC and the one color was buttercup.