Urshag

Alternatives To Tandy Tracing Film?

Does anyone know of a less expensive substitute for Tandy's Tracing Film? I like the properties of the tracing film, but it's a bit pricey for me. There must be some other film or plastic sheeting out there that can be bought for a cheaper price, maybe in bulk or something?

If you know of anything please let me know! :)

Dennis Green

You can buy tracing paper at Walmart....you can also buy transparency film there, too. Either should be a good substitute.

I got a large amount of acetate film free from a printing plant. They use it as spacer/protector between photographic plates in storage, and usually just discard it when done. A bonus (to me at least) is that its lightly frosted on both sides, so I can trace or draw directly on it.

Freezer paper from the grocery store is fairly cheap and works well.

You can use tracing paper to draw your patterns then cover the tracing paper with clear shelf paper from discount store. It holds up really well and you can use it over and over to trace the patterns onto leather. I also like to use clear shelf paper sometimes instead of glueing down the leather to plexiglass. I find a lot of uses for the clear shelf paper, it's like a clear plastic film with adhesive back.

RC

Does anyone know of a less expensive substitute for Tandy's Tracing Film? I like the properties of the tracing film, but it's a bit pricey for me. There must be some other film or plastic sheeting out there that can be bought for a cheaper price, maybe in bulk or something?

Dennis Green

I got some tracing paper from Hobby Lobby and it works ok as long as the leather is not too wet. If the leather is too wet the tracing paper will start to curl and get wavy. Not sure why it does this, but might be something you want to be aware of. It totally messes up the pattern and things never go on right. So, I am still looking for better options myself. Maybe just some plain old wax paper that is used for cooking?

I buy my velum in notebook pack of 50 (8x11) for about $7 at Office Max. It is a product that is made by Helix. What I like about it is that I can also print on it for fonts or other logo type art. I know that Hidecrafter's used to sell loose tracing paper in packs, but I have no idea if this is still so.

Good luck.

if you use a printer a lot use the plastic in between the paper. All I have ever been known to use

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I like the shelf paper idea as well. If I have any more questions I'll be coming back here. :)

Dennis

Hidecrafters still sells the product that King's X spoke of above.

in 4H, we used empty cereal bags, from inside the boxes.

Chan Geer showed us in class to use the sheet protectors that office supply stores sell.

just put your pattern inside the sheet protector and lay on leather to trace.

u can use notebook paper for your pattern this way

While probably not cheaper, I use mylar drafting film. I had a few pieces of it in a desk I brought home, and it works great. One side of mine is frosty, the other side smooth.

I put my patterns on it with pencil, and when the pattern is permanent and dont need any changes, I spray a light coat of clear gloss paint over it to preserve the pencil.

I have since got a roll of it from an engineering company that does it all on computers now, and have been putting all of my carving patterns into a book for easy browsing. The ones I have are 3' x 2' and 1 sheet can hold a lot of patterns. I used to just roll them up, but have since found an old blueprint drawer to store them flat in.

In the long run, its a lot cheaper to me, as I can organize, and have pretty much permanent patterns that are waterproof, and easy to use. I havent worn one out yet, either after about 5 years.

DM

Dennis Green

Dennis,

I read all the responses to your question with great interest. There were a lot of suggestions but for my part they were all a little hollow. Yes there are other products that you can draw on for a lot less money, but none of them allow you to trace multiple times onto leather. You can use any of the tracing papers, but you either have to transfer the pattern onto tracing film (which is what I do) or you have to cover the paper with packing tape or with shelf paper. Vellum or tracing paper alone, won't stand up to a stylus during the tracing process, nor will it withstand the moisture from the leather. Most papers won't! You can cover the back side of your pattern with packing tape, but packing tape expensive and somewhat time consuming, especially because you need to cover both sides if you hope to be able to use the paper twice. For me the shelf plastic is so heavy that I can't get the clean clear lines that I need, to be able to cut my pattern without having to do a lot of re-drawing. Sheet protectors also are too thick to do a nice job of transferring patterns. You can cover the leather with plastic wrap which is a real pain, but you still need something to protect your paper from the stylus. So for my purposes, I consider Tandy's tracing film to be cheap. It's large enough to do bigger projects. You can draw right on the film, or trace a pattern onto it. It can be used many times without coming apart. I think it's one of the better products that Tandy has ever come up with and having tried the alternatives, I still prefer to purchase it by the roll. I have patterns on Tandy tracing film that are 30 years old and are in as good shape today as they were the day I drew them. I have the greatest respect for all of you who use alternatives, but I think for the money, time savings and durability, Tandy tracing film is my first choice!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!......:gun:

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Dennis,

I read all the responses to your question with great interest. There were a lot of suggestions but for my part they were all a little hollow. Yes there are other products that you can draw on for a lot less money, but none of them allow you to trace multiple times onto leather. You can use any of the tracing papers, but you either have to transfer the pattern onto tracing film (which is what I do) or you have to cover the paper with packing tape or with shelf paper. Vellum or tracing paper alone, won't stand up to a stylus during the tracing process, nor will it withstand the moisture from the leather. Most papers won't! You can cover the back side of your pattern with packing tape, but packing tape expensive and somewhat time consuming, especially because you need to cover both sides if you hope to be able to use the paper twice. For me the shelf plastic is so heavy that I can't get the clean clear lines that I need, to be able to cut my pattern without having to do a lot of re-drawing. Sheet protectors also are too thick to do a nice job of transferring patterns. You can cover the leather with plastic wrap which is a real pain, but you still need something to protect your paper from the stylus. So for my purposes, I consider Tandy's tracing film to be cheap. It's large enough to do bigger projects. You can draw right on the film, or trace a pattern onto it. It can be used many times without coming apart. I think it's one of the better products that Tandy has ever come up with and having tried the alternatives, I still prefer to purchase it by the roll. I have patterns on Tandy tracing film that are 30 years old and are in as good shape today as they were the day I drew them. I have the greatest respect for all of you who use alternatives, but I think for the money, time savings and durability, Tandy tracing film is my first choice!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!......:gun:

Bobby

I agree Bobby. I don't use an alternative, just threw one out there to try and help the OP. I, like you, like the fact that I can draw it once and use it many times as needed. I'm really excited about Tandy's new version that has one side that is printable directly from a computer printer. I do many drawings on my computer and this will cut down quite a bit of time by cutting out the paper to film tracing process!

Chris

I agree Bobby. I don't use an alternative, just threw one out there to try and help the OP. I, like you, like the fact that I can draw it once and use it many times as needed. I'm really excited about Tandy's new version that has one side that is printable directly from a computer printer. I do many drawings on my computer and this will cut down quite a bit of time by cutting out the paper to film tracing process!

Chris

I understand what you guys are saying. I haven't found anything else that works as well either. It just seems that for as something as simple as a thin sheet of translucent plastic, that there MUST be the same product out there that's being used for something else that's not as expensive. It is just thin plastic after all.

Oh well. I appreciate all the responses!

Dennis

I havent handled the Tandy version, but is it basically drafting Mylar? That is what I use, and the characteristics described of the Tandy version all apply. There are lots of sources for it, in sheets or in rolls.

DM

I do many drawings on my computer and this will cut down quite a bit of time by cutting out the paper to film tracing process!

Chris

I sure hope you'll show us some of your drawings done on the computer. That is something I would REALLY like to learn!!!!!!

Bobby

I understand what you guys are saying. I haven't found anything else that works as well either. It just seems that for as something as simple as a thin sheet of translucent plastic, that there MUST be the same product out there that's being used for something else that's not as expensive. It is just thin plastic after all.

Oh well. I appreciate all the responses!

Dennis

I havent handled the Tandy version, but is it basically drafting Mylar? That is what I use, and the characteristics described of the Tandy version all apply. There are lots of sources for it, in sheets or in rolls.

DM

This all made me curious as drafting mylar is basically the same thing, except drafting mylar is general 1-2 mil thicker than what Tandy sells but Tandy's won't hold printer/copier inks or toner well (smudges) whereas drafting film works just fine. So in looking for 3mil drafting mylar online, converting to sq. ft. to make comparisons easier, it would appear that Tandy's tracing film isn't that far out of line in pricing.

Tandy Tracing Film: 20" x 10y roll for $33 = 50 sq ft = $0.66/sqft

Dick Blick Art Supply: Drafting mylar 36" x 20y roll for $106.46 = 180 sq. ft. = $0.59/sqft

GrafixArts: Drafting Film 3mil 36" x 20y roll for $122.84 = $0.68/sqft

Alternative Materials:

GrafixArts: Biodegradable Acetate: 25" x 50' roll for $37 = 104 sq ft = $0.35/sqft

GrafixArts: Dura-Lar 3mil: 20" x 12' roll for $8.21 = 20 sq ft = $0.41/sqft

Grafix Plastics is one of the largest creative plastics manufacturers in the US, I've used their Frisket Film and Incredible Liquid Mask for years for painting. I have a gut feeling that this is where Tandy get's their tracing film from (especially since Graphix is one of the few suppliers that makes 20" wide rolls). A sheet of copier paper is 4mil thick so the 3mil films would be about right. Graphix also makes a "Computer Graphix" film that is inkjet and laserjet printable and comes in a 6 pack of 8.5 x 11 sheets - exactly what Tandy is going to carrying soon (direct from Graphix is $6.69 per 6 pack)

In looking at the products/prices, I'm thinking I'm going to give the Graphix Dura-Lar a try when I get some extra cash and see how I like it. It's serves the same purposes as Tandy's tracing film (tear resistant, heat & moisture resistant and accepts pencil & pen easily) and is 2/3 the cost.

Chris,

We used to use the Dura-Lar, drafting film and mylar for Symbolization (silk screening) of large parts directly from AutoCAD. They worked well in the roll feed plotters. We also used several other brands from various other drafting supply stores. We also used quite a bit of the 8-1/2 X 11 stock in laser printers as well for the smaller parts.

I have used a couple of rolls of something similar to Dura-Lar for more than 15years and I am almost out.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

I sure hope you'll show us some of your drawings done on the computer. That is something I would REALLY like to learn!!!!!!

Bobby

Here's a quick one that I did to show a prospective client what a custom bag I was designing would look like on her bike. I took a stock photo of the bike and then added in the drawing of the bag to the photo so she could see it " in action".

th_phantom_bag.jpg

th_phantom_bag_detail.jpg

And here is a Steampunk/clockwork bi-fold wallet pattern I did a while ago but never got around to making:

th_CSW_Wallet_Pattern_Clockwork.jpg

Edited by Spinner

Bobby

Nothing spectacular, but here is a drawing & rendering I did tonight for a bib I'll be tooling tomorrow. Client asked for this version of a "Dead Man's Hand"

All 3 color views are based on the line drawings and simply manipulated from there...lines, shadows, backgrounds, etc.

Cheers,

Chris

post-10543-090121300 1318319171_thumb.jp

This all made me curious as drafting mylar is basically the same thing, except drafting mylar is general 1-2 mil thicker than what Tandy sells but Tandy's won't hold printer/copier inks or toner well (smudges) whereas drafting film works just fine. So in looking for 3mil drafting mylar online, converting to sq. ft. to make comparisons easier, it would appear that Tandy's tracing film isn't that far out of line in pricing.

Tandy Tracing Film: 20" x 10y roll for $33 = 50 sq ft = $0.66/sqft

Dick Blick Art Supply: Drafting mylar 36" x 20y roll for $106.46 = 180 sq. ft. = $0.59/sqft

GrafixArts: Drafting Film 3mil 36" x 20y roll for $122.84 = $0.68/sqft

Alternative Materials:

GrafixArts: Biodegradable Acetate: 25" x 50' roll for $37 = 104 sq ft = $0.35/sqft

GrafixArts: Dura-Lar 3mil: 20" x 12' roll for $8.21 = 20 sq ft = $0.41/sqft

Grafix Plastics is one of the largest creative plastics manufacturers in the US, I've used their Frisket Film and Incredible Liquid Mask for years for painting. I have a gut feeling that this is where Tandy get's their tracing film from (especially since Graphix is one of the few suppliers that makes 20" wide rolls). A sheet of copier paper is 4mil thick so the 3mil films would be about right. Graphix also makes a "Computer Graphix" film that is inkjet and laserjet printable and comes in a 6 pack of 8.5 x 11 sheets - exactly what Tandy is going to carrying soon (direct from Graphix is $6.69 per 6 pack)

In looking at the products/prices, I'm thinking I'm going to give the Graphix Dura-Lar a try when I get some extra cash and see how I like it. It's serves the same purposes as Tandy's tracing film (tear resistant, heat & moisture resistant and accepts pencil & pen easily) and is 2/3 the cost.

Wow! Fantastic answer! Thanks so much for taking so much time and effort to answer the question. I hope this thread helps others who are looking for alternatives as well.

Again, thank you so much!

Dennis

Nothing spectacular, but here is a drawing & rendering I did tonight for a bib I'll be tooling tomorrow. Client asked for this version of a "Dead Man's Hand"

All 3 color views are based on the line drawings and simply manipulated from there...lines, shadows, backgrounds, etc.

Cheers,

Chris

post-10543-090121300 1318319171_thumb.jp

Now I have even more questions. Did your program take that photo and convert it to line art? And is it possible to draw floral tooling patterns with these programs? I don't see anyone doing this and always assumed it was way to labor intensive or difficult to do with a program.

Bobby