suprize

Day 1, Just Got Some Tools. Going To Be Asking For Lots Of Help In The Coming Months

Hey everybody, my name is Scott and I'm from Houston, Texas. I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post. I'm interested in making wallets, belts, holsters, sheaths, and eventually bags and shoes. I just got my orders in from Tandy, Barry King, and Abbey England. I think I have most of the stuff I need to get started, but let me know if there are some tools that you think I will need or that will make my life easier. Not pictured is a 12" by 24" poundo board, and I have plans on buying a scrap piece of marble or granite from a countertop shop down the road.

post-60508-0-63741600-1429236210_thumb.j post-60508-0-40276300-1429236219_thumb.j post-60508-0-79384900-1429236224_thumb.j post-60508-0-81368400-1429236230_thumb.j post-60508-0-61089100-1429236237_thumb.j post-60508-0-08639500-1429236243_thumb.j

I have been reading for hours everynight, but I know I am going to have so many questions once I get started. Next on my list at the moment - buying my first bit of leather. I am pretty sure I am going to go with wickett and craig, probably a double shoulder or something. But any suggestions would be cool. I am a complete beginner, the one thing I do know is that I know nothing. At the moment I have questions about what weight leather I should order. Can I get a reference as to which weight leather I should use for different items. Obviously wallet leather needs to be much thinner than say a belt. Is there a weight I can order so that I could use two layers to make a belt and still have it be the right weight to make say a holster or sheath.

Big thanks to everyone who contributes to these forums, I have learned a lot from just lurking and reading, and thanks in advance for any help I receive in the future.

Edited by suprize

Welcome to the forum.

Could you tell me the name of the company on the green wrapped thread there? I wonder who that is. Thank you.

The thread is ritza 25 tiger thread.

Hey suprize have you thought about buying belt blanks for the belts and maybe a thinner shoulder for wallets and the like.

Also you could do with a stitching pony if you do not have one already.

Ha ha, you don't mess about. Welcome to the forum!