macmandr197

Hardware Source...

Does anyone know of a site that has all manner of hard-ware? D-rings, buttons, snaps, zippers, hoops, etc, etc, etc! I'd like to avoid ebay because the results are sporadic..

ohiotravelbag.com I have used them several times. Always prompt, have a multitude of hardware and I always find stuff I didn't even know I needed! Their on-line catalog can be a little daunting, but like I said you can peruse thousands of neat possibilities, for hours.

jr

This far I am using Tandy Leather and Hobby Lobby. Yes I have reached out online to find material.

There are several members from Canada. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to let them know where you are from and you may get better feedback. Besides that, contact Weaver and ask for their catalog. They are pretty good to work with. http://www.weaverleather.com/supply/ourproducts/requestacatalog.aspx

Further to this there are several suppliers and manufacturers on here as well.

I used ohio travel bag they are easy to work with and prompt.

I use Weaver Leather Supply now, I like their quality, selection and service.

Thor, thanks location unless someone wants to travel differently is a consideration. Unless living on the border and willing to pay the import cost I would not come into the US.

If you happen to be on the west coast, Lonsdale leather in vancouver has had lots of quality hardware for years, but a very basic 20 year old web page... It has just been sold and has a new owner, so it may get better or worse, we will see. It is right near olympic village. Also in Vancouver is Dressew. It is a fabric sewing store with millions of buttons, zippers, and all that other stuff, just a little lacking in the heavier duty end..No rivets and heavy d rings. Again, no website to speak of.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm over in Ontario so unfortunately I won't be heading out to Vancouver :P But I'll definitely check some of those shops out!

Where abouts in Ontario. There are quite a few people from that area on here and I know the place quite well, plus I might just be able to point you into the right direction.

Calait, import isn't an issue. Pretty much everything that is made within North America is import tax exempt as due to the NAFTA. If close to the border not even shipping is a problem as there are services for free delivery within the states and hold for pick up. Some things actually work in Canada.

Where abouts in Ontario. There are quite a few people from that area on here and I know the place quite well, plus I might just be able to point you into the right direction.

Calait, import isn't an issue. Pretty much everything that is made within North America is import tax exempt as due to the NAFTA. If close to the border not even shipping is a problem as there are services for free delivery within the states and hold for pick up. Some things actually work in Canada.

I'm actually in Brantford.

I'm actually new into leatherworking. I'm gonna build a couple wallets and then I'm starting to collect materials (hence the post about fasteners) for my leather messenger bag that I want to build. So I actually haven't visited them yet! But I wasn't even thinking of buying leather from them.. I was thinking of purchasing from springfield leather? Just because I don't want to buy a whole side, just what I need for my bag. and since tandy sells by the side... any suggestions?

If you are going to use veg tan, Tandy sells it by the single shoulder, double shoulder, bend, and side.

With oil tan, chrome tan & pretty much everything else, they only sell it by the side or whole hide.

Also, depending on the size of your messenger bag, you will probably want an entire side. You will need the extra for imperfect spots, off cut scraps, errors, and for the other projects you will want to make when the bag is done. I'm still low on my project count since I started last year, but I've worked through 2 single shoulders, a double shoulder, most of a goat skin & am currently using 2 sides & another double shoulder- each of different weights.