Roy2k

Juki 562 For Leather Holsters?

Hi, I am new to these forums but I thought I would jump in and ask some questions. I know a local guy who has a juki 562 for sale for $600.00 and I wanted to know if anyone here is familiar with this machine. I am looking for something that will handle thick thread ( for simple holsters) and I am also wondering if this machine is geared low for control. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to LeatherWorker.net Roy!

The Juki LU-562 and its big bobbin counterpart, the LU-563, are triple feed walking foot machines. They were designed to sew denim, canvas, webbing, vinyl and upholstery grade leather. Equipped with a standard sized industrial bobbin, the 562 will not sew very far using #138 thread. My guess is that a full bobbin will sew maybe a half dozen or so men's belts. These machines sew best with #69 or #92 nylon thread.

While you can easily set this machine up to sew with #138 thread, into about 5/16" (20 oz) of leather, you will be pushing it to its limit. Number 138 thread is on the small side for gun holsters; most are sewn with #207 or larger thread. You would have to sew two rows for security of the stitching. 20 to 22 ounces combined is the thickest you will probably get it to sew (without tricks). This is okay for pancake holsters, but not much else.

Speed-wise, the machine itself is not meant for high speed sewing. It is a manual oiler, with a drip pan underneath. Top speed is usually set to about 2,000 stitches per minute. This is determined by the motor speed and its pulley size. If you buy it from an upholstery shop, it will probably have a 4 inch pulley. This gives you about 1700 to 2000 spm, with a 1725 RPM motor., which were standard when these machines were being built.

To use this machine for sewing small leather projects, like pancake holsters, you will need to either replace the pulley with a 2" pulley, or replace the motor with a servo motor, also with a 2 inch pulley. This will bring the top speed down to a more controllable 800 to 1000 SPM. If you have a clutch motor, you will need to learn to feather the clutch for slow speed operation. A servo motor is much easier to control at slow speeds, with slight toe down pressure.

If you want to build professional quality holsters, save your money and buy a very heavy duty machine that is made to sew thick leather with thick thread. These machines already have servo motors, with high horsepower ratings, and speed reducer wheels between the motor and the machine. The top speed of some of these "stitchers" is no more than 360 spm, or 6 per second. Slow speeds can be less than one stitch every other second, with the right motor and machine.

This machine may be better suited to making leather seat covers, chaps, jackets and vests, rather than holsters.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Welcome to LeatherWorker.net Roy!

The Juki LU-562 and its big bobbin counterpart, the LU-563, are triple feed walking foot machines. They were designed to sew denim, canvas, webbing, vinyl and upholstery grade leather. Equipped with a standard sized industrial bobbin, the 562 will not sew very far using #138 thread. My guess is that a full bobbin will sew maybe a half dozen or so men's belts. These machines sew best with #69 or #92 nylon thread.

While you can easily set this machine up to sew with #138 thread, into about 5/16" (20 oz) of leather, you will be pushing it to its limit. Number 138 thread is on the small side for gun holsters; most are sewn with #207 or larger thread. You would have to sew two rows for security of the stitching. 20 to 22 ounces combined is the thickest you will probably get it to sew (without tricks). This is okay for pancake holsters, but not much else.

Speed-wise, the machine itself is not meant for high speed sewing. It is a manual oiler, with a drip pan underneath. Top speed is usually set to about 2,000 stitches per minute. This is determined by the motor speed and its pulley size. If you buy it from an upholstery shop, it will probably have a 4 inch pulley. This gives you about 1700 to 2000 spm, with a 1725 RPM motor., which were standard when these machines were being built.

To use this machine for sewing small leather projects, like pancake holsters, you will need to either replace the pulley with a 2" pulley, or replace the motor with a servo motor, also with a 2 inch pulley. This will bring the top speed down to a more controllable 800 to 1000 SPM. If you have a clutch motor, you will need to learn to feather the clutch for slow speed operation. A servo motor is much easier to control at slow speeds, with slight toe down pressure.

Thanks for the informative reply! I have a lot to learn. I have roughly $1200.00 to invest at this time in a machine, I want something more dependable than the sailrite ls-1 that I currently use, I will browse the forums a bit and with a little luck I may find what I need,again thank you!

If you want to build professional quality holsters, save your money and buy a very heavy duty machine that is made to sew thick leather with thick thread. These machines already have servo motors, with high horsepower ratings, and speed reducer wheels between the motor and the machine. The top speed of some of these "stitchers" is no more than 360 spm, or 6 per second. Slow speeds can be less than one stitch every other second, with the right motor and machine.

This machine may be better suited to making leather seat covers, chaps, jackets and vests, rather than holsters.

Thanks for the informative reply! I have a lot to learn. I have roughly $1200.00 to invest at this time in a machine, I want something more dependable than the sailrite ls-1 that I currently use, I will browse the forums a bit and with a little luck I may find what I need,again thank you!

Edited by Roy2k

You are well on your way to being able to afford a better grade of sewing machine, than the LU-562. For only a little more money you can get a brand new Consew 206RB-5, or a CB2500 (GA5-1R type). For another $800 you can have a brand new 9 inch arm, very heavy duty leather stitcher delivered to your location on a pallet in a truck. Either of these types of machine will sew holsters with thick thread. The first type (CB2500/GA5-1R) sews to 1/2 inch. The latter sews over 3/4 inch. Both can easily handle #346 thread (larger on 9 inch types).

I recommend that you read the sticky topic at the top of this forum; about the type of machine needed to sew leather. It is an extensive, ongoing work that walks you through the process of education about mechanisms and toughness, to get you to understand what type and build of sewing machine you really need for the work you intend to do.

Edited by Wizcrafts

If you check the Marketplace section, jbird has a Cobra Class 4 for sale at somewhere around $2000. This would be the exact machine you will need and it has all the accessories with it. Of course, Steve's service will come with it. Call jbird and talk to him about it.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=32121&pid=200915&st=0entry200915

Art

You are well on your way to being able to afford a better grade of sewing machine, than the LU-562. For only a little more money you can get a brand new Consew 206RB-5, or a CB2500 (GA5-1R type). For another $800 you can have a brand new 9 inch arm, very heavy duty leather stitcher delivered to your location on a pallet in a truck. Either of these types of machine will sew holsters with thick thread. The first type (CB2500/GA5-1R) sews to 1/2 inch. The latter sews over 3/4 inch. Both can easily handle #346 thread (larger on 9 inch types).

I recommend that you read the sticky topic at the top of this forum; about the type of machine needed to sew leather. It is an extensive, ongoing work that walks you through the process of education about mechanisms and toughness, to get you to understand what type and build of sewing machine you really need for the work you intend to do.