Sign in to follow this  
Old Navy

What is the best tool to cut 9 oz. leather?

I am having trouble cutting thick leather.Could someone tell me what they use?Thanks,Navy

It really depends on what kind of cut you're trying to make. If you're trying to cut out a particular, repeatable pattern...i.e. holster pieces, then a clicker (basically a cookie cutter) is the way to go. If it's just general cutting, well, a head knife or round knife is the answer. Head/round knives (and even rein knives for those familiar with them) have a curved blade which gives a really long cutting edge that makes cutting thick leather easier. The trick is to have whatever blade you use INCREDIBLY SHARP. Razor sharp is just a good start. There's a few threads on sharpening blades, and I'm pretty sure every one of them mention stropping. You should give a blade a quick stropping before cutting, and at any time the leather 'grabs' at the blade. Learn to use a head knife and you'll likely stick with it. Even if you're using a plain ol' razor knife, exacto type blade, or an 'olfa' knife, strop, strop, strop. You'll be amazed at how dull "razor" sharp is.

Ask you local Tandy store manager to demo the new Damascus blades for you - they come pre-sharpened - super sharp! they really are the tool for the leathercrafter who already had everything (before these came on the scene....)

i usually lay my pattern(a Gun Holster/Knife pouch that sort) on the fleshy/rough side of the leather, make the outline, use a spray bottle to soak the lines i need to cut out, Then use a Box cutter Knife(Those that retract/change blades), and use a fresh Blade at the start. Works very well for me.

Edited by Thalaskaru

I use a head knife to cut 99% of everything I do. It is also what I use to skive everything I do so in my opinion it is the ultimate leather cutting tool. There is definitely a learning curve related to using and sharpening, however.

Hope this helps...

Bobby

Thanks Ladies and Gents.I will use all of the sugestions.I ordered a headknife yesterday from Sheffields of england.I didnt get stainless,but it should be ok.I got a osborn leather cutter from e bay.Can I sharpen the blade on it?I wanted a pricker,but they are priced to high.Does anyone know of a supplier for one at a lower cost?navy

skiver round knife as I call it,

but its really more than one tool its more you must learn too sharpen thats the key to success.