Jim March

Prototype Of A Really Weird New Design...

Plastic holsters like the Blackhawk Sherpa, Fobus and the like have the ability to adjust the tilt angle to the user's needs. But, they're plastic. We haven't had a really adjustable leather outside-the-waist rig...until now.

This is an early prototype of a holster I made three days ago and have been wearing since. The cosmetics are not where I want them to be, I still need a better edge trimmer and stitch groove tool. This is a "working prototype/proof-of-concept" only...but it DOES work!

All of these pics are of the same holster, same belt mounting hardware, zero changes except adjustment.

In this pic we see my personal favorite carry setup, a high-ride crossdraw:

4627760537_2f58664244.jpg

Here it's set up for a more traditional low-riding crossdraw:

4627760529_a0e03b23b4.jpg

Here's a strongside setup with an FBI forward tilt - note how the tilt angle is going completely the other way:

4627760541_edb31abe89.jpg

Here we see it still forward-tilt a bit, higher-ride, carried high and forward in an appendix-carry mode.

4627760547_8345b2ff9a.jpg

Many other positions are possible!

So how does it work? Well there IS some kydex involved - two thin strips about 1/2" wide, thick .125" grade for strength with holes up and down their length. Each hole is a potential mount point for one of the belt connectors. There's eight positions on the triggerguard-side strip, eleven on the sights-side.

Those thin black strings you see dangling on three of the above photos are used only when dialing in the adjustments - once you have it where you want it, you cut those off. Here's a series of three pics showing how a belt mount is attached to the holster.

Step one, the "adjustment string" (thin black string in this case but anything will do - fishing line, whatever's handy) is strung through one of the kydex mount points:

4627773487_08d92ea242.jpg

As you can see, the kydex strip is sewn onto the core holster.

A loop of the 550 paracord is pulled through:

4627773491_20fb742c3c.jpg

...and then you pull the rest of that side's belt mount buckle through the loop and cinch tight:

4627773495_e5a6b8a90f.jpg

My original "blueprint" for this called for a series of metal rings but the kydex strip probably works better: all the lacing together holds it steady so it's more stable, and it can't rust or go all green in the case of brass:

4416045789_4161616b67.jpg

As far as I know, this design is completely unique to me. So it's licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license:

http://creativecommo...nses/by-nc/3.0/

Read: feel free to make one for personal use, credit me if you share the design and drop me a line for low-cost commercial licensing fees.

Well Jim ;you may well be on to a nice thing;; good luck with the idea and full speed ahead ;;;

..Doc..