Ian1783

Timing A Singer 29K60 - Can Anyone Help?

I picked up a Singer 29K60 yesterday and am in the process of assessing its condition and need for parts.

There are a number of issues I'll need to address, but for the moment, in order to test sew the machine, I need to time the hook. Anyone with a step by step for that, or an online repair and service guide/manual?

This machine is in very nice condition, as far as I can tell. It has no treadle stand or motor (actually, the previous owner did attach a small, domestic motor, but I don't want to keep that setup).

Needs a spool pin and the thread guide tool.

As far as the hook goes, it looks like I can simply loosen a set screw on the gear for the bobbin-hook drive assembly and, keeping the gear in place, turn the bobbin-hook until it is appropriately positioned for the position of the gear, needle, etc. The set screw is accessible through a small notch in the free arm, but it looks like it's designed to remain in that position while the hook driver is turned, as the set screw would not be accessible if the gear were to move. Very simple machine, but I'm hoping for some insight, rather than track off into unchartered territory. I've timed vintage domestic machines, so I'm comfortable with the process.

I'm sure I'll have many questions regarding this machine, but must say that Wiz's stickies are awesome and the info, therein, valuable. Great job!

No pics at this time, as my camera's data cable is missing.

Ian1783

Answering my own question (in a way. Actually, Wiz had more to say about timing the hook in another thread):

Wizcrafts mentioned two things that has me thinking the situation is solved (I'll know more when I test sew, which in itself may require a part or two):

the set screw for the hook driver is set into a hole; I thought it was a friction set, and so, adjustable. This means that there really isn't a timing adjustment on this machine.

Wiz explains that the hook picks up the thread loop during that part of the cycle when the needle hesitates, or, waits (on my machine, it actually bobs up and down just a bit (maybe 3/32")). I thought it might be that the hook point passed the needle eye on its final ascent.

In order to test sew, I'll need a spool pin and the threading tool (long, thin wire-type doohicky). Anyone have a work-around for these before I find a source to purchase? I'm Guessing Bob at Toledo may have these.

My goal is to find the appropriate stand for this machine so it can be treadled as originally intended.

Ian1783

SF Bay Area

I make my threading wire from the smallest guitar string. Kink it tight then open up the kink and snip it off so you have a small hook. I put my thread in a coffey can set it on the table behind the machine run the tread thru a screw eye on the ceiling then down to the first thread guide.

Thanks for the tips pcox. My son plays guitar - hmm... The coffee can sounds like it would work. I do want to complete this machine, so will want the spool pin, but for a test sew, the can idea gives me ideas that may work just as well.

Ian1783

SF Bay Area

You don't loosen the screw on the gear to retime as this screw must always stay in a hole in the shuttle driver,you loosen the locknut on the opposite end & turn the screw (it's a cam screw) to retime it.

post-7185-0-36907000-1368276659_thumb.jp

Edited by CowboyBob

Bob, that's just what I was hoping for! I did find a part to a manual that referred to this adjustment, but it had no accompanying photo or diagram, so I had no idea what it was about. Your explanation and image is just the thing. I'm very confident I'll be able to get this beauty running.

I'm sure I'll be making a list of things I'll need from you, Bob. Glad to know I have this resource!

Ian

SF Bay Area