anubismp

Stingray Grips And Holster

I am looking to attach some stingray to some gun grips and the do an overlay on a holster. I temporarily attached the skins to my guns grips with spray adhesive for the cutting(emt shears worked well) but I'm wondering the best way to do a permanent stick? Maybe an epoxy?

Also I am looking to do an overlay on the holster with the stingray and I've seen inlays and people secure the hides with stitching but do you glue underneath to hold it tight?

Thanks in advance

I am looking to attach some stingray to some gun grips and the do an overlay on a holster. I temporarily attached the skins to my guns grips with spray adhesive for the cutting(emt shears worked well) but I'm wondering the best way to do a permanent stick? Maybe an epoxy?

Also I am looking to do an overlay on the holster with the stingray and I've seen inlays and people secure the hides with stitching but do you glue underneath to hold it tight?

Thanks in advance

I would think slow-set 2-ton epoxy would be your best bet. It can hold a blade in a handle permanently just fine, so I would assume that it would work for applying stingray to grips

Sounds like what I'm looking for thanks, ps your sheaths look awesome.

Sounds like what I'm looking for thanks, ps your sheaths look awesome.

anubismp: For an overlay on a holster I would use a good contact cement. I personally use 'Weldwood Contact Cement', the solvent based type. You can get it in as little a 4 oz bottles. I have used the water based stuff from them , but was not too impressed. I use it on all of my holsters, I don't do much (if any) overlay...I prefer inlay work, but you still have to glue it down with something a little flexible. JMHO Mike

sr1911.jpg

profile1.jpg

port.jpg

front.jpg

Heres how it turned out. The stingray was tough but once I git used to it it didn't seem too bad to punch. The work from the flesh side was a good tip. I wound up using some Elmer's superglue as it was on hand and I was getting the run around from local shops. On the bright side the stitching will do most of the holding and if the edges come loose I'll try the above. Thanks for the help as always.