cmantz

Angelus Paint Seems To Go On Really Thin

I am using Angelus paint to paint a noseband for a halter. This is fairly light colored veg. tan leather.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what but I can't seem to get good coverage using the Angelus paints. For my current project I am using yellow, lt green, lt blue, magneta and purple paints. I put a white underbase under all the colors. But I can't seem to get the white to go on even. I don't know if I am putting too much paint on my brush and trying to lay the white down too thick. I wanted the colors to pop good so I figured I need the white underneath but maybe I didn't. As it looks now I am going to have to put on at least three coats of the colors to get good even coverage over the white.

I look at items that I see on the internet that have been painted and surely they aren't doing 3-4 coats of paint on these designs...or are they? Just seems like the designs that I have seen are too intricate to have to do multiple coats of paint in order to get good coverage. For example, I have seen sugar skulls painted on the leather breastcollars...are they really applying multiple layers or are they using a paint that is more opaque?

If anyone out there is painting horse tack and would be kind enough to offer some guidance on what I am doing wrong, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance :)

Chris

I use angelus extensively and it does on on thin...but that is what I think makes it adhere to the leather better than say Cova. I do not use it for high detail multi colored work like it sounds like you are describing but I have painted entire pieces of armor with no problems. It does take multiple thin coats, but when dealing with acrylic this is the way to go over one opaque coat to reduce the threat of cracking. I still think angelus is superior to Cova....I'll take 5 coats of angelus over 15 Cova anyway....and it's cheaper per ounce :)

Me too uses Angelus paints. I love the way it goes on in thin layers, build it up layer by layer (with proper drying time in between) until you're happy.

I also use to put white first but there's no need for that, it just makes it "bulky". Take some scrap pieces and you'll find that the paints will turn out just right and more evenly without the white underneath, good luck//Tina