rktaylor

Rigging Plates Over Or Under Swell Cover

I don't want to start a range war, but I am asking anyway. Most of my reference material says to put the swell cover on before the rigging plates. I suppose the reasoning is based mostly on ease of repair. Is there a compelling reason why I should install my riggings before my swell cover? It's a Will James tree (13" swells) with a flat plate rigging if that matters.

Randy

Randy,

Jeremiah Watt installs his rigging after the swell cover is installed, who's to argue with him? However, I install my rigging prior to the swell cover, because that's the way I first learned. Now that I have a little more experience in saddle construction, here are my reasons for installing the rigging before the swell cover: it is easier to line up the rigging in the position that you want, you can run the front rigging plates higher up the swell without fear of it showing after the seat is installed, and you can skive the rigging plates easier to get a good smooth fit without degrading the strength of the plates (these areas will be covered by the swell cover).

I have a saddle with flatplate rigging that was made before 1945. The rigging has never had to be repaired, and the rigging was installed prior to the swell cover. One last thought about saddles; all you need on a saddle is a good tree, and well made and aligned rigging. I feel that you can align the rigging better with less stuff already on the tree.

Ron

Randy, simply put, I install my "D" ring "STD" rigging before swell cover for the reasons that Ron expressed, I install my flat plate rigging after because I usually put them on and off many times during the build.

Bob

Ron and Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. I am learning that there are a lot ways to do it right and probably more ways to do it wrong. Since I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder your comments are beneficial. I don't know that I will ever build enough saddles to develop "my method" but I am having fun learning.

Randy

Randy,

Bear in mind that I'm completely green at saddle making but one reason i like the idea of putting rigging plates on first is I can feather them down to nothing and get them higher up the fork on a slick fork - I feel this is stronger. Then, once my swell cover is on it covers it up really nice. I feel i get more strength by securing the rigging plate to the fork rather than just the actual bars.

I had the opportunity to rope a bull the other day and am pleased to report that the first saddle i made held up well - No creaks, groans or complaints!

Just my 2 cents!

Regards,

Ron L

I put my riggings on before the fork cover to protect the tree. As it was explained to me, build the saddle the same way you would shingle a house, from the bottom up. Rain and snow travel down the fork cover between the front jockeys and will collect at the junction of the fork and the bars. Over time the moisture starts to degrade the rawhide and rot the wood. I have seen this happen on a great number of trees where the riggings were over the fork cover.

Thanks to all. I have decided to put the swell cover over the rigging. Now I just need to get to that point in construction.

I am going to the Boot and Saddle Show in Wichita Falls tomorrow and spend part of my children's inheritance.

Randy