the gafer

Another Collar From Myself

made this today its made with british bridle leather and has solid brass fittings hand sewn with yellow tiger thread and brass rivets not so keen on the rivets now so i think i will just all hand sew from now on

WP_20141120_012_zps817cf254.jpg

WP_20141120_011_zpse62fb7eb.jpg

The rivets look like they are adding quite a bit of strength to the d-ring area of the collar. How would you get that strength with a centered d-ring and stitching only? would you stitch right over the d-ring?

I'm a big fan of center d-rings and only use rivets on my collars- no stitching so far. Well... a few experiments but nothing for sale.

And an off topic question- What is a lurcher? It's not an AKC breed. Is it a KC breed? Got any pics to share of your dogs?

you sew right up to the d ring and double back the stiching all my old collars was made that way but took longer to do so i started with the rivets

a lurcher is a hunting dog we use in uk they are crossed with all sorts mine are crossed with deerhound greyhound collie bull terrier

WP_20140730_003_zps57661568.jpg

DSC00604_zpsd186b44f.jpg

DSC00071-1_zpsdee9d089.jpg

Looks good, I personally prefer hand stitching or chicago screws over rivets. Rivets can deform and loosen over time.

Cool! Thanks for posting up some dog pics :) I can see some bull, deerhound and greyhound. What do you hunt with your lurchers?

Unless you couldn't tell from my avatar, I'm into Dobermans. Dobermans are part Greyhound too.

Here's one of my center d-ring collars:

100_2067.jpg

i used to hunt rabbits ,hare,fox and deer but since the ban i can only hunt rats and rabbits

got any more pics of your collars

Looks good, I personally prefer hand stitching or chicago screws over rivets. Rivets can deform and loosen over time.

I haven't had that problem with rivets and I've never had a complaint about that from a customer. I worry more about screws and use Loc-Tite every time I have to use them. I've had people loose conchos before I started using Loc-Tite,

i used to hunt rabbits ,hare,fox and deer but since the ban i can only hunt rats and rabbits

got any more pics of your collars

I never got a hunting licence but got a permit to carry a handgun. I shoot the squirrels that chew on my house and drive my dogs nuts ;) My Doberman would be a good hunting dog if he didn't eat or crunch the prey. He eats squirrels whole. He is very good at flushing partridge, but I've never had a licence to hunt them.

I've got a flicker page of my collars: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29665779@N03/

some nice work the dogs look grate don't think any of my dogs could pull weariing a collar like yours off

how long have you been working with leather

some nice work the dogs look grate don't think any of my dogs could pull weariing a collar like yours off

Sure they could! They are hunting dogs, right?

how long have you been working with leather

I would guess maybe 6 years? But to tell the truth, I haven't really improved my work much in the past 4 years. I'm here at this forum looking for what I'm going to do next in leather.

I haven't had that problem with rivets and I've never had a complaint about that from a customer. I worry more about screws and use Loc-Tite every time I have to use them. I've had people loose conchos before I started using Loc-Tite,

I always use Loc-Tite, screws always seem to have a way of working themselves loose.

About rivets, your hardware looks more substantial than the stuff I use.

Nice color, and nice dogs!

I always use Loc-Tite, screws always seem to have a way of working themselves loose.

About rivets, your hardware looks more substantial than the stuff I use.

I'm using Tandy solid brass double cap rivets. Most of my pics are from before I started to use a rivet setter to dome the rivet a little. I was just whacking them flat with my 20 oz. Estwing framing hammer. I still whack the rivets the same way, but then use the rivet setter and a lighter hand to dome the caps a little bit.

Sure they could! They are hunting dogs, right?

I would guess maybe 6 years? But to tell the truth, I haven't really improved my work much in the past 4 years. I'm here at this forum looking for what I'm going to do next in leather.

do you use a edge bevler most of the pics the edges look square if you bevel them dye the edges then burnish and put edge kote on makes for a far neater job also if you use bridle leather will look more high end only a suggestion hope I don't effend you

do you use a edge bevler most of the pics the edges look square if you bevel them dye the edges then burnish and put edge kote on makes for a far neater job also if you use bridle leather will look more high end only a suggestion hope I don't effend you

No, I don't use a beveler. I do use a slicker and dye my edges. I've never worked with bridle leather. Can you tool bridle leather at all?

If you get a bevler your edges will look so much better and put edge kote on too I only use bridle leather for my collars but its not cheap in the UK well over priced if you ask me I can do a little bit of tooling nothing special though

Looks great. I've been thinking about trying to make a dog collar.

Chris