Sign in to follow this  
tnestes

Swellforks vs. Wades

Recently, I was told that wade saddles (custom, of course) tend to hold their resale values better than a swellfork. However, another maker, probably in the "top three" catagory, informed me that he was making about as many swellforks these days as wades. All things being equal ( i.e.- same tree, leather, level of expertise), might this be the case? Any thoughts on the subject?

In our shop, our orders are all for swell forked saddles. We have not had much interest in wades for the last year or so. And the repairs coming in to the shop we see about 20% of the saddles are wades. Most of the ranch hands in our area are riding swell forks, but the wades are out there. As far as saddles that we take in used for consignment, the folks with wades are not giving them up! We can sell a barrel racing type saddle as fast as they come in the store. We are in Wickenburg Az. :cowboy:

I think quite a bit depends upon your region, and your particular market. The cattle culture varies in style, preference and methodology widely from the Great Basin to Texas to the South East. Then again, nationally, there are lots of recreational riders riding a Wade with a post horn, because that is what a clinician they admire rides.

Orders coming in for me the past year are about 3 to 1 swell forks to slick forks. Regarding resale of used saddles, those that I have had the best results selling have been Ranch Cutters.

JW

Recently, I was told that wade saddles (custom, of course) tend to hold their resale values better than a swellfork. However, another maker, probably in the "top three" catagory, informed me that he was making about as many swellforks these days as wades. All things being equal ( i.e.- same tree, leather, level of expertise), might this be the case? Any thoughts on the subject?

here is an observeation passed onto me ,with a slight dash of ?????

outside a montana or nth western location bar sits an ol beat up truck,an ol hand me down, in the back sits a 4000$ saddle

in a sthn state mebe texas, outside a bar sits a 30000$dually with a 500 $saddle in th back of course these days aint nothing safe in the back eh.just makin light ,laughter is good medicine.

here is an observeation passed onto me ,with a slight dash of ?????

outside a montana or nth western location bar sits an ol beat up truck,an ol hand me down, in the back sits a 4000$ saddle

in a sthn state mebe texas, outside a bar sits a 30000$dually with a 500 $saddle in th back of course these days aint nothing safe in the back eh.just makin light ,laughter is good medicine.

You've made a great point. I know so many people who drive those 50K+ vehicles, have horses worth several thousand, and yet want to "poor mouth" about the price of a custom saddle?????

I think quite a bit depends upon your region, and your particular market. The cattle culture varies in style, preference and methodology widely from the Great Basin to Texas to the South East. Then again, nationally, there are lots of recreational riders riding a Wade with a post horn, because that is what a clinician they admire rides.

Orders coming in for me the past year are about 3 to 1 swell forks to slick forks. Regarding resale of used saddles, those that I have had the best results selling have been Ranch Cutters.

JW

"Regionally" may be the key word you used. I've made some saddles that went to Texas, and these particular guys wouldn't have a wade. And then there are others who act as if they didn't know there was anything but a wade saddle. Saddles are like lots of other things, meaning styles change from time to time concerning what's in vogue. Apparently, the swellfork is on the comeback trail overall. In addition, I've always wondered why someone buys a wade, then uses bucking rolls on it all the time? I appreciate the discussion! And you make some VERY crisp, clean looking saddles, too, friend!

I built alot of wades a few years ago. Now the only wade I have made was for a show. I have made around 20 swell forks in the past 2 years. I recently took an order for a freemont, which is the biggest and most extreme swell fork out there. Go figure.

Shane

I like the looks of a slick fork saddle, but I think those nice lines are marred when someone adds a pair of bucking rolls. I've always felt that if you're gonna put bucking rolls on a slick fork saddle you probably should have bought a swell fork to start with.

But, everyone has a different idea of what looks good.

I like the wade but ride a swell forked saddle, I always have entertained the idea of getting a wade. Cowboys I've ridden with are divided over which they prefer and then there is differing opinons on bucking rolls and nightlatches. The majority here (Sierra foothills) ride swell forks. Arguments over which makes a more secure seat when things go sour seem to go on and on. Wades have no swell and the theory of some seems to be it's hards to sit when the pitchin' starts. I have seen some very classy looking modified assosiation saddles with wood post horns. Many who prefer the wood horns are the crowd that doctor cattle in the pasture, some ride wades and some the swell forks.

Well, I think it's a personal preference and I wouldn't try to talk someone out of their personal choice. My own feeling though is that the bucking roll is placed down lower and contacts sooner than the swell on a fork so that is my own preference. Although my first preference is not needing a "bucking" roll at all. Chris

I agree Chis, I try to avoid those situations much as possible.

I agree with Chris! Now that I'm almost 50, I find the idea of bucking to be less and less amusing. That reminds me of something my Grandpa used to say. He was an old horseman, who was a cavalry trooper along the Mexican border in the 1920's. Whenever someone would ask him about being bucked off, he would say... "There's only two types of horsemen. Those who have been bucked off. And those who are gonna be."

A lot of talk about swells verses bucking rolls.If you ever had a thigh bruise it hurts.For days after wards.Bucking rolls are a little more forgiving

You bring up an interesting point, I recall when a thigh bruise was just an inconveinence. Always went on like nothing happened. (When everyone was looking anyway.) But now being older everything inside and out hurts after the pitching starts even when you manage to keep your seat. (still try to show no weakness but it is harder than it used to be, LOL) Last time I had one of those bruises, (I'm assuming you mean one of those bruises on the inside of the thigh from being slammed forward and catching the swell under and inside your thigh muscle) it was tender for a couple of weeks, the nice blue and then green color lasted for a month or so, maybe more. I certainly see what you mean about bucking rolls being more forgiving.

I also like the woodpost horns better too, lots easier to let the rope slip some if needed. Around here there are quite a few of the modified association trees with woodpost. Wades are seen in the cow camps but I have not seen alot of them, seem to see more with the trail riding crowd around here. The local pack stations all use swell forked saddles and no wades/slick forks at all, seems they are of the opinion wades/slick forks are less than safe. (I understand thier theory but I don't put alot of stock in it, although they do put alot of hours in the saddle. The same guys will absolutely will not consider a decker rig for a pack saddle either, even with some of what I think are obvious advantages.) Funny how we develop likes and dislikes and stick to them so strongly. That's one thing I like about this forum, is seeing other opinions and points of view. Everyone here seem's to weigh thier options pretty carefully before arriving at set in stone decisions. It is a great place to learn, see new things and see the creativity of others.

Edited by grumpyguy

Being a Montanan stuck in Texas I can see the regional differences. I ride both. My swell fork is my colt saddle and my wade if for my broke horses. I rather have the bruise on my leg from swells than my head as bucking rolls have a little too much give for me when ol' roany ducks his head, speaking from experience there as I did land on my head.

You don't see many wades down here in this part of Texas, and I get some looks if I show up somewhere on one especially with a flat hat and 26" tapaderos!

When I go home to MT it's about 50/50. I know my granddad was hiring wandering buckaroos up in MT back in the early 80's and cowboying as a kid with those guys had a lot of influence on me as far as gear goes.

I'm really, really hoping my horse's bucking days are done because neither swells nor bucking rolls do a whole lot to keep my sorry butt in the saddle (let's just say it's not that hard for a bucking horse to get me off his back and onto the ground... anyone make a saddle with a seat belt? :rolleyes2: ) so for me, the choice between swells and slick forks is more about riding style than stick-ability.

I tend to do a fair amount of arena riding, especially in the winter, and I like how the slick forks let me get my hands nice and low so I can get that straight line from my horse's mouth to my elbow. I ride English-style in my western tack (I find it the easiest way to get my horse up and over his back) and I also do ranch sorting, both of which require contact with the horse's mouth, and swells just get in my way.

I also plan to start doing some mountain riding so may adjust my opinion after sliding down some serious hills, but so far, at least on the tamer trails in my neighbourhood, I find slick forks have enough of a rise that I haven't slipped too far forward.