Sign in to follow this  
Mike

What is a good liner/interior material?

I have been asked to make to checkbooks, wallets, etc... for upcoming gun shows. Somewhat along the lines of my fish wallets.

bassck3d_160x166.jpg

I have checked my supplies and I am low. I cannot easily get to a leather store to look at liner material but I do have both the Tandy and Hidecrafter catalogs. What is a good liner/interior material? I can use veg-tan but I prefer this for the carving area. I use thin leather on these items. What is thin, has good body/strength, and looks good. These items would all probably work with natural or brown interiors. I can change my border colors to match interiors but brown and natural seem the most useful.

It's been years since I made this stuff regularly. I am out of touch with what is current. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Do you folks use one material (thin) for the liners and another (a bit thicker) for the interiors?

Thanks,

Mike

bassck3d_800x830.jpg

post-5060-1195946476_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike

I use a couple different items for linners and the pockets. I like the 2-3 oz veg tan splits ( Tandy # 9826-00)if I am going to stitch the edges. With the veg tan linners I can get a good burnish on the edges. If I am going to lace the edges I will use the Mission grain pig sking linning (Tandy 9126-01 brown 02 black) Do not buy the #2 grade as it will have holes that look like someone shot it with a shotgun! They have a couple new items for linners that I have not tried yet "Glazed Pig splits" and "Haircell lining leather". All are very affordable for use as liners and pockets ( 1.79 to 3.00 retail). I have used some Upholstery leather when I have found it on sale at an afordable price but not used it for pockets etc.

Randy

The Glazed splits are rather stiff. I've used it on a folder (9X12) and liked it. I also used it in a handbag and did not like it due to the stiffness. I'll continue using on folders, book covers, and checkbooks. I too like thin veg tanned for other lining, especially if I want other than black. I think thin veg tanned is the only one that could be used anywhere.

my 2c

Thanks, folks. Would that be the petite tooling calf (9154-00 $7.99 sq ft) or the Tooling Kip Sides 9155-00 $6.99 sq ft?

Oh wait, I see they have Oak-Leaf and Craftsman Oak in 2-3 oz at better prices. Are these good tooling leathers as well?

Mike

Look at the Veg- Tanned Splits # 9826-00 $2.79 on the lower right hand corner of page 5 in the new Tandy catalog.

I see it. I thought it was suede. I have a veg-tan split that could be used for an Indian Guide vest. (In fact it was). It is tool-able but not very. It is fuzzy (flesh) on both sides. That is what I thought a veg-tan split was.

It;s split down from heaver leather, It still has the grain side intact.

Mike,

The veg tan split for the vests doesn't have the grain, at least it didn't use to. It is what is split off from making the thinner leathers. View it as a big skiving. Vegtan splits are not very durable, chrometan splits more so.

I haven't used much of the mission grain for quite a while. I have used quite a lot of TLF glazed pig linings. They variably stock them in a copper color or lately a really nice golden color. Maybe we are talking about different things, but mine are about 1 to 1-1/2 oz and very flexible. They are in fact too flexible for some of the chap leather items I make that need some body. I also use the boot lining pig. For items that I need some medium body, I go to goat. I get vegtan goat from Siegel and oil it to color. They have some colors too. For stiffer linings on belts, albums, and portfolios, I go to Siegel's commercial oak. It is a stiffer vegtan, and oils up to color well too. Makes good checkbook pockets too. It is comparable to the lower grade leather that others sell but normally, other than a brand, pretty clean. Not a very good tooling leather, but priced right for a good looking liner.

I went to Siegel's and looked at their stuff. The vegetable goat and mocha goat both look good. Thanks for the tip. Veg goatskin is more economical and can be oiled/dyed. When dyeing a liner like this, what do you seal it with? Oil or some finish like neat lac?

Mike,

I oil the goat and commercial oak with my ProDye/NF oil mix. A light coat (goat is pretty thin) rolled on with the paint roller. After the oil has settled in, I seal with LeatherSheen. I do the same on all my veg tan linings and pockets. It seals the oil in and prevents it from bleeding.

Well, I think I'll go with a 2 oz veg tan. I'll see where it is least expensive. Right now I am out of lightweight stuff and I won't be carving much for awhile. I'll have to sell some stuff first.