Sign in to follow this  
william

Is this Sewing Machine for Me?

Sews heavy material like upholstery, canvas, and leather up to 3/8'' thick. Includes three bobbins, three needles, oil, screwdrivers and wrenches. Sewing machine table sold separately.

2000 stitches per minute

Foot pedal operation

Manual or knee operated pressure foot lifting arm

Reverse feed

Automatic lubrication

Single needle

Throat depth: 10'', Stitch length: 8 mm, Needle size: #135x17, Motor: 1/2 HP, 120 volt, 5.5 amp, 1750 RPM, Overall dimensions: 22'' L x 12'' D x 9'' H, Machine weight: 56 lbs., Shipping weight: 76 lbs.

Im making belts and purses will this machine work for me?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=92966

Hi William,

This is kind of the Wal-Mart version (meaning they really cut costs) of the 618. The pictures in the manual don't show a needle feed or walking foot, but I looked at the parts lists and it has the right parts for it. However it could work for you but has some basic differences. First, this will need to be setup and installed. There might be some shipping protectant on it that will have to be removed, maybe not, but I hope they shipped it with some protection. It might be in time and might not, it will probably run but you should know how to time it. This machine does not have some of the things a 618 does. I did not see an overload clutch, I really like to see this with lighter machines that sew leather. If you get this, learn to retime it. They also eliminated a lot of gear in the thread path, why?. One big difference is they have eliminated the speed reducer, and with a clutch motor (they show a 3450 rpm motor in the manual) it will go like a bunny, like a bunny with it's tail on fire. You might be able to get away with just replacing the clutch motor with a servo motor, but low end torque will be missing. 135x17 needles generally don't come with leather points, you will want 135x16 D or Tri needles, you may have to retime when switching to them but not necessarily. I looked at the manual and it doesn't look anything like the ones for the 618, probably from a different factory. I would definately find out what bobbin and hook it has and if it has a thread finger for larger thread, make sure hooks and bobbins and cases are available and fairly priced.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one without seeing it and using it. See if HF can get you the numbers of someone in your area that is using one. They do have HF retail stores and you might see if one of these have one set up. I have seen this model sold for $999 plus shipping on eBay, although the Dealer is also important. I think you can get one (a real 618 sc 1 set-up for leather) on your driveway and add 15 minutes to put the head and belt, the lights and thread stand on and you're sewing for $1700.

Art

Sews heavy material like upholstery, canvas, and leather up to 3/8'' thick. Includes three bobbins, three needles, oil, screwdrivers and wrenches. Sewing machine table sold separately.

2000 stitches per minute

Foot pedal operation

Manual or knee operated pressure foot lifting arm

Reverse feed

Automatic lubrication

Single needle

Throat depth: 10'', Stitch length: 8 mm, Needle size: #135x17, Motor: 1/2 HP, 120 volt, 5.5 amp, 1750 RPM, Overall dimensions: 22'' L x 12'' D x 9'' H, Machine weight: 56 lbs., Shipping weight: 76 lbs.

Im making belts and purses will this machine work for me?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=92966

Do youself a favor. Get as big a machine as you can afford. If you cant now, save your pennies and do it later. i bought several machines w/in the last 20 years and always regretted not getting one like i have now. It will save you the heartache when you need that extra 1/8" pressor foot height, power, or throat.

or, if you have a sewing repair/selling shop, look at what they have used. there are some nice used older machines that will outlast you and your next few generations.

This is true, a big machine can be setup to sew small, but a small machine will not handle big work at all. Now for the deal, Johanna has a Singer 153w103; that means US made walking foot compound feed machine that she isn't using. I think you should be able to get into something like that for what you are willing to pay for the HF machine and stand. With proper care, your kids will be using it after you are gone. There are a lot of 153s and 154s out there, 111s are also good machines but lighter duty but would work for bags and such. On 111s, they are used by tentmakers and canvasworkers so they can and often are used-up, just be careful. The machine Johanna has is probably in good shape. PM her and see if she still has it.

Art

Do youself a favor. Get as big a machine as you can afford. If you cant now, save your pennies and do it later. i bought several machines w/in the last 20 years and always regretted not getting one like i have now. It will save you the heartache when you need that extra 1/8" pressor foot height, power, or throat.

or, if you have a sewing repair/selling shop, look at what they have used. there are some nice used older machines that will outlast you and your next few generations.