Sign in to follow this  
Chief31794

Compound Feed Question

I have been sewing on a Needle Feed machine (Boss) for a while, I am pulling the trigger on a Cowboy 3200 today. When sewing a holster or sheath where the welt has been skived to provide a taper with the Boss I had to manually adjust the stitch length as the thickness changed to keep the stitch length consistent, will this be true using a triple feed machine or will the stitch length remain constant as the product gets thinner? On some sheaths this is as much as a 1/4" change when closing a foldover sheath and 1/8" on Bowie Knife type sheaths. I don't normally skive the welt in a Holster unless it is a cowboy style holster but it does happen from time-to-time.

Thanks,

Chief

hard to believe one of our resident experts hasn't answered this yet, but most machines do this because the presser feet advance by tilting the bars forward on a pivot. Therefor the higher presser foot is the less it will privot for a given setting.

Chief; the difference in stitch length will be negligible, as the pivot point is about 8 in up from your work.Stitches will be shorter on thicker leather due to the action of the pivot, but it is only a minor difference. You may notice it but most will not see any difference. And besides it is easy to change stitch length with a luxury machine such as this. Gump.

Chief; the difference in stitch length will be negligible, as the pivot point is about 8 in up from your work.Stitches will be shorter on thicker leather due to the action of the pivot, but it is only a minor difference. You may notice it but most will not see any difference. And besides it is easy to change stitch length with a luxury machine such as this. Gump.

Thanks,

I appreciate the info.

Chief