BurnTheBarrels

Starting Out Painting Horse Tack?

Hi everybody! /best Dr. Nick impression/

Er... I'm new to this forum and figured it'd be my best bet with starting on a new project. I want to learn to paint horse tack. But I have a lot of questions and haven't found too many great tutorials out there. So... here's what questions I do have on my mind as of right now:

How should I prep a piece of leather for painting? What should I do, and what shouldn't I do? The only tutorial I've found on this involved "roughing" the leather piece with a fine grit sandpaper, then wiping it down. I plan on buying already created pieces of horse tack, just customizing them with paint. In addition to this, how can I determine if I need to prepare it (if there's any finish on it, I'd assume there'd be a glossy appearance? but then again, a lot of the horse tack I've seen doesn't appear "glossy", and that the gloss seems to be only on things like purses, ect.)

The next thing I'm wondering is what product(s) or product lines you would recommend for painting on leather. I came across Angelus, which appears to be the most popular choice.

Anything you guys are willing to provide to a newbie, I'd love to hear! Also if you know of any stores that carry things like Angelus paints (Jo Anns maybe?) that'd be awesome to hear too, rather than ordering online.

Thank you!

Hi everybody! /best Dr. Nick impression/

Er... I'm new to this forum and figured it'd be my best bet with starting on a new project. I want to learn to paint horse tack. But I have a lot of questions and haven't found too many great tutorials out there. So... here's what questions I do have on my mind as of right now:

How should I prep a piece of leather for painting? What should I do, and what shouldn't I do? The only tutorial I've found on this involved "roughing" the leather piece with a fine grit sandpaper, then wiping it down. I plan on buying already created pieces of horse tack, just customizing them with paint. In addition to this, how can I determine if I need to prepare it (if there's any finish on it, I'd assume there'd be a glossy appearance? but then again, a lot of the horse tack I've seen doesn't appear "glossy", and that the gloss seems to be only on things like purses, ect.)

The next thing I'm wondering is what product(s) or product lines you would recommend for painting on leather. I came across Angelus, which appears to be the most popular choice.

Anything you guys are willing to provide to a newbie, I'd love to hear! Also if you know of any stores that carry things like Angelus paints (Jo Anns maybe?) that'd be awesome to hear too, rather than ordering online.

Thank you!

The best (and least expensive) place I've found for Angelus leather paint is http://www.dharmatrading.com. Angelus gives some instruction on what to do... but typically you need a deglazer to remove finishes. If you plan on ordering several colors this is the best way to go even with paying for shipping. Dharma rocks and I highly recommend them.

The trouble I see with some horse tack is that it's made from oiled leather. Acrylic based paints won't stick to that. I would think "roughing" the leather with even fine sand paper would spoil the smoothness of the leather and show through your acrylics.

Most leather painters thin their paints and use an air brush (from what I've seen and read) However others use thinned paints with a brush and lay several thin coats on.

The best (and least expensive) place I've found for Angelus leather paint is http://www.dharmatrading.com. Angelus gives some instruction on what to do... but typically you need a deglazer to remove finishes. If you plan on ordering several colors this is the best way to go even with paying for shipping. Dharma rocks and I highly recommend them.

The trouble I see with some horse tack is that it's made from oiled leather. Acrylic based paints won't stick to that. I would think "roughing" the leather with even fine sand paper would spoil the smoothness of the leather and show through your acrylics.

Most leather painters thin their paints and use an air brush (from what I've seen and read) However others use thinned paints with a brush and lay several thin coats on.

I have already come across Dharma, and that's probably where I'll go if/when I decide to go ahead with this :)

I couldn't find Angelus or anything similar at Jo Ann's, Michael's, or Walmart.

I know of a few people who do hand painted tack, but sadly they're not too keen on sharing broad things such as preparing a piece, what paints they use, and stuff like that.

I have already come across Dharma, and that's probably where I'll go if/when I decide to go ahead with this :)

I couldn't find Angelus or anything similar at Jo Ann's, Michael's, or Walmart.

I know of a few people who do hand painted tack, but sadly they're not too keen on sharing broad things such as preparing a piece, what paints they use, and stuff like that.

:rofl:

Well, I guess they think it's like you are asking for their grandma's cherry pie recipe. Some folks keep stuff very close to their vests for fear they will lose their buyers to another.

It's a shame really.... they miss out on a very good collaborator and an extra pair of hands if they ever need help.

:rofl:

Well, I guess they think it's like you are asking for their grandma's cherry pie recipe. Some folks keep stuff very close to their vests for fear they will lose their buyers to another.

It's a shame really.... they miss out on a very good collaborator and an extra pair of hands if they ever need help.

Yea I get that. I've seen people ask before and they give vague answers, like "the number one best paint out there".

Yea I get that. I've seen people ask before and they give vague answers, like "the number one best paint out there".

I'll try to find it for you. A member here "Spinner" did a partial tutorial on painting leather... then he got busy and the rest has been delayed. Maybe that would give you some ideas.

Man that took way too long to find ..... but here it is.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=35955

Hope that helps.

S

I'll try to find it for you. A member here "Spinner" did a partial tutorial on painting leather... then he got busy and the rest has been delayed. Maybe that would give you some ideas.

Man that took way too long to find ..... but here it is.

http://leatherworker...showtopic=35955

Hope that helps.

S

Thanks for the link! I've been skimming it and it brings me back to the days I was in a painting class at college - oh how much fun that was! (Ok, I didn't like the instructor but spending about two hours in the morning doing nothing but painting and listening to my iPod? Best. Class. Ever. XD Sure I've dabbled in painting since but canvas painting bores me....)

Thanks for the link! I've been skimming it and it brings me back to the days I was in a painting class at college - oh how much fun that was! (Ok, I didn't like the instructor but spending about two hours in the morning doing nothing but painting and listening to my iPod? Best. Class. Ever. XD Sure I've dabbled in painting since but canvas painting bores me....)

LOL I never took a painting class but I did take Ceramics. You know the class where you use the potter's wheel and spin up (hopefully) a vase or bowl? I really enjoyed that class even without the ipod. Very zen spinning up clay like that.

I still use some of the bowls, cups and what not, I made in that class.

LOL I never took a painting class but I did take Ceramics. You know the class where you use the potter's wheel and spin up (hopefully) a vase or bowl? I really enjoyed that class even without the ipod. Very zen spinning up clay like that.

I still use some of the bowls, cups and what not, I made in that class.

Ahahaha the ceramics part of my high school art class = fail. My "bowls" always came out dilapidated, one side would be a good quarter inch thicker than the other side... I don't really like working with clay all that much, though I've tried sculpting some horses off of pictures before (always a fail).