Sign in to follow this  
Tkleather1

new tools

So I just got one hundred dollars to spend with Barry King for my birthday. I am thinking about getting the set of checkered bevelers but I want to hear some other opinions. Keep in mind that they are gift certificates for Barry.

The only real quality stamps that I have now are a Basket stamp from Barry as well as a Basket from Hackbarth. Granted I have some quality mauls and head knives and I guess a few other various hand me downs and some random finds here and there but I have all craptool I mean crafttool stamps.

I mainly attempt to do my version of sheridan carving (not real well but I try) So the main question is if you had 100.00 bones to spend with barry and wanted to stay just with stamps what would be your first and most important buys.

Thanks for any and all input.

Tim

do you have a good swivel knife? If not barry's is great for the money, also I bought the checkered bevelers in sizes 0, 2, 4 and loved them compared to the craftool. They don't tend to hang like the junk ones. anyhow there my thoughts, James

do you have a good swivel knife? If not barry's is great for the money, also I bought the checkered bevelers in sizes 0, 2, 4 and loved them compared to the craftool. They don't tend to hang like the junk ones. anyhow there my thoughts, James

I have a stohlman knife that I have modified to make it a SPINNER. granted not the best knive on the market but WWWWAAAAAYYYYY better than a standard Tandy. You can get them apart and do a little mod to get them tighter and smooter at the same time. Sorry I got off track a little, but thanks for the info that is what I am leaning towards as well. I jsut wasnt sure if the thumbprints and what not are the frist things to buy, I have it stuck in my head that I will see the most dramatic difference with bevelers.

But to all feel free to tell me otherwise, I wouldnt be here if I knew what I wanted or needed for sure.

TK- What a FUN Birthday Gift!!!

I took a class from Jesse Smith on Northwest Carving at the IFOLG show in Ft. Worth a couple of years ago. I started out the class with my crafttools, but by the time the first break came around, I hit the Barry King booth and picked up # 1 & 2 lifters, a thumbprint, and a concave beveler #4. I had already purchased 4 procrafter chekered bevelers from Hidecrafter. I was on a tight budget and felt I got a lot of bang for my buck. :evillaugh: I use them all the time with floral carving, and am slowly upgrading tools also. Have fun picking out your tools!! - Deb

Well thanks for the input all. I think I decided on the set of checkered bevelers, I think this will give me the biggest notice of change and since I am an instant gratification type of guy I will start with these