highnoonhunter

Anyone used these plans

http://www.ubuilderplans.com/node/10

Just wondering if anyone here has tried building one of these using these plans? And if the plans were worth the money?

I'd like to have a stitching horse, but I have a bad back, and feel sitting on the hard bench type seat without support, will cause some pain. I don't care much for the small stitching pony.

I saw this on the web, and it looks to be a good compromise, as I can sit in my favorite chair and use this.

But I've bought plans off the web before that had a lack of detail, and weren't worth the money. I think I could build one without the plans, but if they were quality plans it would sure save some time.

hnh

I don't have a stitching pony (could occasionally use one) so your post got my interest. The one in the link looks like it would have very little leverage to grip the leather. Maybe a stitching horse user might chime in and say if a lot of grip is needed. If you need a lot of gripping power then you'd have to modify the plans anyways. If so, you might as well draw your own design along those lines.

Weaver has stitching horses on sale right now for $135 + sh.

I did one based on Chuck's design and it works great. I probably spent less on materials than you would spend on plans.

I made two a few years ago from Chucks plans when I first got to know him. I think I spent a total of 6$ on materials and maybe a hour of work,that was including the nice oak boards I made them from.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried building one of these using these plans? And if the plans were worth the money?

I'd like to have a stitching horse, but I have a bad back, and feel sitting on the hard bench type seat without support, will cause some pain. I don't care much for the small stitching pony.

I saw this on the web, and it looks to be a good compromise, as I can sit in my favorite chair and use this.

But I've bought plans off the web before that had a lack of detail, and weren't worth the money. I think I could build one without the plans, but if they were quality plans it would sure save some time.

hnh

Stitching%20Champ%20Leather%20Clamp.JPG

I am a lurker here on this board. The plans you refer to are the ones I sell. I am sure they would be just what you need.

I would like to share a little of the feedback we have recently gotten from our plans.

June 21 from Australia:

Hi , I received the plan to make the Stitching Champ Leather Clamp today Monday 22nd 2009. Thank you so much. The plan is most comprehensive I am delighted with it. I would also like to thank you for the way the plan was contained in a water proof packaging it has been raining buckets and the post man didn't place it completely in to the mail box but even so there was no damage to the plan. I have been on your web site several times and I must say the whole concept is really great. Blessings to you and your endeavours, Rev. Edward.

June 30 from Alabama:

Dear ubuilderplans,

Morning!

I bought your plans for the stitching pony a while back, and we finally built one. We just wanted to let you know that it works like a champ! It does exactly what it is advertised for, and it is so easy to use. Not like the other one we had. So thank you for providing the plans and have a great day!

Mitz

I know a bunch of things out there are not what they are supposed to be, but the Stitching Champ is the result of lots of work to make a better clamp / stitching pony. The designer of this plan designed and built the Stitching Champ AFTER purchasing a clamp for considerable money from a big name leather company and then being very disappointed with it. Our plan is designed to be built easy and CHEAP and work to well. Any other questions? Feel free to ask me!

I use this one the plan was free.

http://www.wrtcleath...stitchpony.html

GUNFITR

could you tell me what kind of leather the bottom pony is sitting on please. I have been looking for some of that for a while.

diane

I guess I will toot my own horn.

I think you will find our building plans VERY easy to use and detailed - plus we offer support by email if you run into any problems.

This is a great little design. It can do most things a full sized stitching horse can do (without compromising a good tight clamp) and from your favorite chair. Then the Stitching Champ can easily store in a closet or under a bed when not in use! Try that with a full size stitching horse! Easy to build AND very cheap to build as well. I think you should give our design a try!

hnh

hnh

Take a look at these

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/rmbcustomleather/horse1.gif

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/rmbcustomleather/horse2.gif

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/rmbcustomleather/horse3.gif

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/rmbcustomleather/horse4.gif

could you tell me what kind of leather the bottom pony is sitting on please. I have been looking for some of that for a while.

diane

Looks like elephant?

Looks like elephant?

It's American Bison aka buffalo - I got that from Colorado Leather Goods - they have a website........

FWIW - I too have a bad back situation (five ruptured discs altogether) and found that using a pony rather than a horse was better on my back than a full-sized horse. The pony works great on smaller stuff such as holsters, knifesheaths, etc. and I even hand sew my chaps using one. Whichecer pattern you use I think you will find the pony the better "deal" considering your situation.

It's American Bison aka buffalo - I got that from Colorado Leather Goods - they have a website........

FWIW - I too have a bad back situation (five ruptured discs altogether) and found that using a pony rather than a horse was better on my back than a full-sized horse. The pony works great on smaller stuff such as holsters, knifesheaths, etc. and I even hand sew my chaps using one. Whichecer pattern you use I think you will find the pony the better "deal" considering your situation.

Thanks! I thought it might be elephant because of the checking--I've been shown a piece that looked much like it.

I'll have to get some of that bison hide... It might be time for me to wander down to Colorado or see if the Terry Bison Ranch sells it.

Weaver has stitching horses on sale right now for $135 + sh.

How can you tell? Their website is so horrible, how can you even find the stitching pony?

Bill

Virginia

How can you tell? Their website is so horrible, how can you even find the stitching pony?

Bill

Virginia

That was two years ago Bill. I think the sale is over. They sent me a flyer in the snail mail box. Never been to their website.

That was two years ago Bill. I think the sale is over. They sent me a flyer in the snail mail box. Never been to their website.

Yeah, their website still looks like it did right after Al Gore invented the internet... I know business have to make their own decisions about their internet footprint but it is so easy now to make a website that their really is no excuse for this level of incompetence. A 4th grader could get a yahoo business site up and running in an hour that would blow theirs away. Hard to imagine how much money goes to other companies because they can't get a decent site up.

Bill

Virginia

This is a picture of a stitching pony I bought from duckcreektraders

backin 09 that was included in a Leather Work & Repair Kit

post-15330-047210400 1307932377_thumb.jp

If you can make a stitching pony, that would be great

because you can customize it by making it taller or making

the base piece longer if needed.

I don't sit on mine, I just put it under one leg. Because the top

clamp swivels on the base, I can easily turn the clamp slightly if needed

while I am stitching the leather.

Edited by LNLeather

Yeah, their website still looks like it did right after Al Gore invented the internet... I know business have to make their own decisions about their internet footprint but it is so easy now to make a website that their really is no excuse for this level of incompetence. A 4th grader could get a yahoo business site up and running in an hour that would blow theirs away. Hard to imagine how much money goes to other companies because they can't get a decent site up.

Bill

Virginia

I don't know why you have your panties in a wad. I clicked on go shopping and went right to it. Whats your site look like ?

I took the pic from Tandy and went into my father's shop and made one with soft pine -some altered dimensions and it turned out great and only cost pennys since we used scrap lumber in his shop.