Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

Sheridan 07 report

I headed down to the Sheridan show on Thursday morning. It is always a beautiful drive across southern Montana this time of year. This year it was even greener than normal. I pulled into Sheridan about 1 in the afternoon and headed to the Holiday Inn where most of the show events take place. I headed off to the room where my friend Kathy Flanagan was teaching the Introduction to Professional Leathercraft class. She had 4 very enthusiastic students and they had done a great job in 4 days. They were finishing up a belt when I arrived and had done a checkbook cover the day before and a couple other projects before that. The classroom seemed to be a gathering place as several other people wandered in all afternoon. One of them was Charley Bay who hummed Pomp and Circumstance for the handing out of the diplomas for the students. It was pretty impressive, several verses along with special effects. I had met Charley in Denver a couple years before.I met Kathy there too but under different circumstances which I am sure she will tell everyone about if she ever starts posting here on the forum. They are both a lot of fun to be around and 3 days with them was just what I needed after the last couple months of pouring cement.

That evening everyone in town heads to the King's for their reception. They have a big feed and the 7th Calvary drum and bugle corp come through and play for the crowd. It's a great place to catch up with old friends. While we were standing in line for food, we walked past the table where Bob Beard was sitting. He got up and gave Kathy a big hug. Then he gave me a hug and a kiss. You gotta know Bob. He told me it was ok, if the girls think you are gay, they feel safer and will come over and talk. When I asked if it was for my benifit or his, he said " I dont care about your love life!" Bob always has a crowd around him and among them were Anne Newkold, Jeff Mosby and Wayne Christensen. I ran into several other people there that I hadn't seen since last year of longer. I also met up with Clay Miller for the first time. We made plans to get together the next day so he could show me how he goes about drawing patterns. We hung out there until they locked the doors and then when the rest of the crowd was headed across the street to the Mint Bar, I took Charley and Kathy back to their vehicles and called it a night.

Friday morning I headed back to the Holiday Inn and helped Kathy get set up for her class on different finishing techniques. I acted like I was helping out and ended up staying for the whole class (for free!) I will have to remember that trick next year too :o)

When the class was over, it was past time to meet up with Clay M, so I found him and we headed to a quiet table in the corner of the bar (after a quick trip to WalMart to get some paper and pencils) He makes pattern drawing look easy. I know it's going to take me a lot of practice but hopefully I learned a little. Then it was time for some lunch before a trip through the vendor room. Our first stop was Bob's booth where I picked up a couple swivel knife blades. Now I have no excuse for a dull blade. Bob gave me a discount on them. I think I deserved it after what he did the night before. While I was there, Jan Schoonover stopped by to say "hi". I have taken a lot of classes from Jan in past years and it's always nice to see him. I found out he has been having some health problems, a heart attack in January and some other lingering problems. I hope he recovers from it all and has a lot more years of carving and teaching in him. When we finally got tired of playing with Bob's tools, we wandered on to Barry Kings. Tried out a few of his stamps too. Next stop was Jeff Mosby's booth were he talked to Jeff and Wayne Christensen again. Wayne had his saddle bags over his shoulder and I got a picture of them. He does great work. Then we were going to try to get to Wickett and Craig's booth before we ran out of time, but ended up at Verlane's booth where she showed us a carving she had done and colored. We talked for quite awhile about coloring techniques and by the time we left, they were closing up for the day. Next stop, Sheridan Leather Outfitters and more free food! This is another good place to just hang out and talk to friends and meet people. When they locked the doors there and chased us out, Kathy and Charley were kind enough to come over to my motel room and look at some of my work. They were supposed to offer a critique, but all I got was Charley asking "when you die, can I have this picture?" I guess that means that he liked it.

First thing Saturday morning, I made a trip through the World Leather Debut which is the competition room. Lots of amazing leather work in that room. There were 16 saddles, most I have seen in the competition. Almost every form of leather work imaginable was represented. I took a LOT of pictures, trying to get a couple of each piece in case I messed some up, and also tried to get a picture of the name card because someone always asks, "who did that?" As soon as I got my first round of pictures finished, I headed off to Jim Linnell and Tony and Kay Laier's kids class. I think someone said they had 29 kids and 15 adult helpers in the class. Jim and Tony are really good with the kids, and it's quite entertaining. Kid's really do say the darndest things. I was helping one little girl and we were talking while she was sewing. I found out her dad was a boot maker so I asked if she was going to learn to make boots. She said maybe when she was a teenager. I asked if she would make me a pair of boots and she thought about it for awhile and then said "you'll be REALLY old by then!" I told her I'd still like a pair of boots when I was REALLY old, and she said, "Yeah, lots of REALLY old people come into my dad's shop". All the kids finished up thier projects before they left and if they didn't have thier very own set of tools, Jim lets them take home a set. I saw another little girl showing her parents what she made in class and she was jumping up and down with excitement. Jim and Tony are great with kids and keep the class fun. That's how working with leather should be.

Last year in Sheridan, Jim Linnell asked me if I had brought along the picture that Silva Fox had carved for me as he would have liked to see it. I brought it along this year in case I had a chance to show it to him. Jim said he would be eating in the bar as it was quieter and quicker, so I brought the picture in there to show him. Kathy and I were invited to sit with them and 3 hours later we were done with lunch and on out of there. Good thing we ate in the bar where it was "quicker".If you have to be stuck with the waitress from hell, at least it's nice to be there with good people with lots to talk about. Jim told us about all the new water based dyes, antiques and adhesives that will meet new environmental standards. He said the new dyes will be consistant from lot to lot, and will be vibrant colors. He said they will absorb into the leather like spirit dyes, but clean up with water. It will be interesting to try them out. Jim said he hopes people will give these new products a chance as Tandy is working hard to see that we have choices available to us. He also said they are working on making the Craftool stamps more uniform and back to the original shapes they were designed to be. These things costs a lot of money, but it sounds like Tandy is trying to fix some problems and make changes that will benefit leatherworkers.

If buying us lunch wasn't enough, Jim was also kind enough to take a look at some of my work. He offered a couple ideas for future projects and how I might make them work out. Maybe I can get something worked out for the show in Fort Worth this fall.

Then it was time for a slower trip through the room where the leather debut items were displayed. I got to meet Brian who works for the Journal and was in charge of watching the room. The Journal has some really nice people working for it.

Saturday evening was the banquet, but instead of going there, I went to Rick and Sherry Vine's house where about a half dozen members of the Columbine Leather Guild were getting together for dinner. We had a nice meal and a lots of fun conversation. Then it was time for a few handshakes, a hug or two, and the long drive home in the dark. I had a great time in Sheridan as usual. For those of you that have never been, if you get the chance, GO! For those of you that do go, I will look forward to seeing you next year.

I heard that Pete Gorrell was the winner of the Al Stohlman award this year. If any of you know who won the Ann Stohlman award I'd like to hear. There was a young lady from Larimie Wy. that I have taken classes with in past years that was up for the award and I heard rumors that she got one.

There, I finally got this done! Hope nobody is asleep. Pictures should be up soon.

Clay

Great post, Clay. Wish I could have made it this year--but I'll look forward to the pics.

WEll, I'm jealous. Someday I'll make it to Sheridan. I've been to the Pendleton show, but I sure do want to see the King Museum. I usually end up buying some tools from Barry King and Bob Douglas.

Great report, Clay. You focused on all the most important details!

:gathering:

Can't wait to see your photos...

Kate

I can't wait to see the pics either...but the PO didn't have them yesterday, and they won't be open until Tuesday. Arrrggghhh!!

Johanna

I can't wait to see the pics either...but the PO didn't have them yesterday, and they won't be open until Tuesday. Arrrggghhh!!

Johanna

I found out this morning that Johanna will be out of town for a few days due to family stuff, so I'll try and put a few pictures up here myself to tide you over until she gets back and has time.

WC and his carry on bags.

Carving on an Aaron Fendek saddle

Saddle by Paul VanDyke

Detail on saddle by Lyle Henderson

Saddle seat detail by Ben Swanke

Saddle bags by Don Butler

Jim Linnell's pig

Chaps by Cody Young

Jacket by Linda Barker

Hackamore by Timothy George

Trout by Jan Schoonover

I am having some internet troubles, so I didnt get as many on here as I was trying to, but maybe this will keep you all happy until the rest get up ???

sheridan_07_016__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_020__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_025__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_047__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_049__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_077.jpg

sheridan_07_078__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_080__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_084__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_097__Large_.jpg

sheridan_07_106__Large_.jpg

post-12-1180377067_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180377177_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180377311_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180377472_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180377557_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180378123_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180378184_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180378557_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180378677_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180379165_thumb.jpg

post-12-1180379903_thumb.jpg

Edited by ClayB

Try reducing the size of the pics if you post any more on the forum. I can't believe you tricked the forum to accept all of those! Thanks, Clay, hold the fort until I get home!

Johanna

WOW there is some fantastique work there and so many diferent styles

What an amazing group of pics....I'm still drooling over those saddle bags on page one! I love em.

Dave Theobald

some incredible work!!!

i learn so much from looking at work like that!

i think i am most impressed with the swivel cut patterns.

thank you for sharing them with us!