Some of you may remember a clock I posted WIP awhile back (prior to the server meltdown in December)... well, this project took a turn for the worse when I fouled up the antique job - big time! (I ran out of paper towels and couldn't get the excess off before it started turning to goop! :ranting2:) Also, most of the water-based dye I applied to the dial and the numbers came off. I was pretty disgusted with it, and tossed it aside until I could decide objectively what to do next with it, but I was pretty sure it was headed for the :censored2: boo-boo bin.

I took some deglazer to it, and got as much of the antique off as I could, but it had absorbed well into the leather in the deeper parts (which is one thing I usually like about the formula I use), so it wasn't coming off in those places. Last week I took another look at it and decided to try to finish it. I re-painted the dial and the numbers with some Createx transparent colors, then re-applied the antique. This time, I had a massive pile of paper towel sheets ready to go! Yessir! Yup! Heck yeah.

So here it is... I still haven't attached the clock movement, and it's still not as nice as it would have been if I had done the job right the first time, but at least it's not a total loss...

ClockPowercat03_500.jpg ClockPowercat04_500.jpg

Kate

post-7-1201905923_thumb.jpg

post-7-1201905948_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid I don't see anything wrong with it at all -- it looks like one of your usual fabulous pieces! Really, as I read your description, I started to think you had carved it all over again because the pictures look so good. . .

BTW, would you run through the details of what exactly your coloring technique was for this piece?

Thanks for posting this, Kate.

L'Bum

Nice save Kate!!! Nobody would ever know it was almost a boo boo. Wanna fix some of the stuff in my boo boo bin???? It's getting fuller all the time.

I like this one a lot better.

pea-aire'

That looks great to me. I would never think that any mistakes were ever made on it.

nice looking clock!! How bout the cats beating Ku in b-ball YEA Go wildcats!!!!!!!!

Mike

LOL, your mistakes look better than my sucesses.

Your work is so freakin' beautiful! Your "mistakes" are better than my "good!" I wish I could screw up that well!

Did Washroad just call me beautiful ???

Kate i love seeing your work. LOVE IT !! No matter what the color is it will never take away from your great tooling and design. In saying that i must also say how fantastic your dye jobs are as well. You're the triple threat !!

It looks freakin beautiful !!

Edited by freak

Thunder Cats ho!

Looks good, you would never guess it was a re-cycle from the censored2.gif boo boo bin.....

Thanks for the comments, everyone...

The main thing I'm not satisfied with is that the antique around the numbers and dial beading is a little too dark, and makes the numbers look a little fuzzy. Also, some of the purple faded a bit when I rubbed over it with the deglazer, so it's not quite as vibrant a purple as I would have liked. But I'm glad it turned out as well as it did, despite everything I did to screw it up. <_<

If you don't mind me saying so, though, the frame doesn't do it justice.

Yeah... the frame I chose did not quite have the effect I thought I was going to get with it. I have another frame that's the same size, which I'm going to try and see if I like it better.

BTW, would you run through the details of what exactly your coloring technique was for this piece?

The coloring was done thusly:

- The logo was colored with spirit dye that was sprayed on. I applied liquid latex around it to mask off the background (I posted a demo of that process, but it's in SQL limbo at the moment; I'm still working on restoring the old posts, but in the mean time, I may re-post it.)

- The beading around the dial and the numbers were painted with Createx transparent colors.

- Then antique was applied. I squirt it on with a squirt bottle, then use paper towels to spread it and work it into the depressed areas. Then I use more paper towels (lots more) to quickly wipe off the excess, until I have the appearance I want. For my pieces, I almost always use an antique, and I almost never use a resist, so the antique accentuates the natural variations (sometimes even the flaws) in the leather. When I wipe off the excess, I keep the paper towel flat as I wipe across the leather, so the antique stays in the depressed areas.

Wanna fix some of the stuff in my boo boo bin???? It's getting fuller all the time.

Sure, I'll take a crack at 'em. Nothin' to lose, right? :whistle:

How bout the cats beating Ku in b-ball YEA Go wildcats!!!!!!!!

That was awesome, yes. Finishing this up on the day after... the timing was a bit uncanny, was it not?

Kate

That looks great. I would have never thought to combine the Thunder Cats and floral carving. Awesome.

you are far too critical of your work. try not to look for the flaws or mistakes in everything you do.I know its hard.I do it myself. but you have to move past that point...and concentrate on learning from the issues that came up so as not to encounter them next time.needless to say,if you have a scrap :censored2: crap bin with this kind of mistakes in them, I'll gladly take them! looks great,keep up the good work, and do us and the clock a favor and spend the 15 bucks to get it a decent frame.sheesh.*L*

Jayhawk?!? TOO-ey!

Just kidding! I was actually thinking of making another one with a Jayhawk for my brother, who is a KU alum. We are, as they say, a house divided.

Kate

Got the point! Still, maybe I should have photographed it after the first antique job to help you appreciate what a disaster it almost turned out to be. It does look quite a bit better now. And as for the frame... <snicker>... jeez, okay!

Kate

you are far too critical of your work. try not to look for the flaws or mistakes in everything you do.I know its hard.I do it myself. but you have to move past that point...and concentrate on learning from the issues that came up so as not to encounter them next time.needless to say,if you have a scrap :censored2: crap bin with this kind of mistakes in them, I'll gladly take them! looks great,keep up the good work, and do us and the clock a favor and spend the 15 bucks to get it a decent frame.sheesh.*L*