andyb

My First Real Project - A Messenger Bag

I have made a few small projects (like a pocket watch holder to wear on a belt and some other very small items), but this is the first project I have ever attempted with more than a couple of dollars worth of leather. It came out exactly like I envisioned it, but my vision at this point is limited, since I am a leatherworking newbie. I really need to start learning how to do carving and stamping, as there are some beautiful examples posted here by others.

I had the bag partially sewn, and decided it was too long, so I cut it apart and shortened it by a few inches. It didn't affect anything, just took me more time, and I ended up using the cutoffs as the strap guides and some other items, so none went to waste. It is Craftsman 8-9 oz veg tanned tooling leather from Tandy, and all hand stitched because I don't have a sewing machine that would work to do this. I still have to soften the leather a bit and use it to give it a bit more worn appearance, but it came out pretty good.

post-7975-099046600 1330895957_thumb.jpg

post-7975-013225500 1330895982_thumb.jpg

post-7975-033372200 1330895997_thumb.jpg

The one tip I would be interested in, is how to soften the leather. I know veg tanned stuff isn't going to be as soft as other types, but any amount of softness would be good.

EDIT: I forgot to add, one half of the shoulder strap is a section of military sling. I liked how the hooks for adjusting the length worked, so I used the sling instead of pulling the hooks off of it.

Andy B.

Edited by andyb

Nice looking bag....I especially like the hooks.

That looks very nice! I really like the hooks, too! As for softening it up, just use a little extra virgin olive oil, mink oil or neatsfoot oil and work it into the leather and you should find that it softens up and becomes more pliable.

really nice, particularly since it's your first.

Pelican hooks!!!!!!!!!!!! SWEET! Are those copper ones? I have only seen brass and nickel! Sailing shops have them, they are for lifelines...I get almost all my brass from sailing supply. Great idea! Very nice looking bag, just add some olive oil to that bag and it will be good to go:)

Edited by chancey77

Thanks for the positive comments! I definitely learned a lot about fitting and matching up stitch holes while doing this. I have never wet-molded anything, so that is something else I will try with one of my next projects.

Yes, they are pelican hooks. Just plain brass ones. I saw them on a belt a few years ago and just thought they were the coolest type of "buckle", so had to use them. The down side to them is you can't use them with wide straps (at least I never saw them large enough to work), but that was fine for this project. The snap clips that hold the shoulder strap on were too narrow as it was and I ended up cutting the ends off and silver soldering on a wider rectangle to fit the shoulder strap.

Andy B.

very nice job! well done with the hardware, too.

where do you get the pelican hooks?

Thanks for the positive comments! I definitely learned a lot about fitting and matching up stitch holes while doing this. I have never wet-molded anything, so that is something else I will try with one of my next projects.

Yes, they are pelican hooks. Just plain brass ones. I saw them on a belt a few years ago and just thought they were the coolest type of "buckle", so had to use them. The down side to them is you can't use them with wide straps (at least I never saw them large enough to work), but that was fine for this project. The snap clips that hold the shoulder strap on were too narrow as it was and I ended up cutting the ends off and silver soldering on a wider rectangle to fit the shoulder strap.

Andy B.

That s a great mod Andy! Much respect for that! Cutting off the ends of the hooks and making it work, that is what it is all about! Pelicans are designed for ropes for lifelines so they are always round. In your picture they look copper, maybe just the way the light it hitting them.

I love sailing and equipment and use pieces from boats all the time. I never thought about using them for latches (really kicking myself right now), I always use the big brass clips, but now you have me thinking. Thanks for the share, and keep up the great work!

As far as tooling stamps and using a swivel knife go, you are in the right place to get tips and advise for that!!!!!

Take some of the scraps the you have left over and give it w whirl...practice, practice, practice...If you are not sure what you need there is a place on the forum here about tools for beginners, and there are a lot of videos on Tandy's Web site, that should get you up and running before you know it. Stamps are all about consistency, the amount of force made to make the stamp last and repetition along with rhythm for things like backgrounders. Swivel knife work, best rule is to cut 1/2 the depth into the leather and bevel the knife cuts to make it from 2d to the glorious 3d that you are searching for.

It seems you are not a novas when it comes to tools , so just like everything else work and tool related let your tools do the work they where designed to do, a hammer has different weights for a reason, let the hammers do their job no need to over work your arm:) I have 3 different weights depending on what I am using the stamps for.

Looking forward to your next project:)

very nice job! well done with the hardware, too.

where do you get the pelican hooks?

Since you are in Up State NY there should be a couple sailing shops around but you will probably save yourself a big headache by ordering them from online. The best Brass sailing stuff is made in Sweden, so look for hooks and brass parts labeled SWEDEN.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=pelican+hooks+brass&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=pelican+hooks+stainless&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=SbpVT8TDItTQ4QTW3MyhCg&sqi=2&ved=0CEoQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=2b804fcc0c4a780a&biw=1399&bih=856

I have made a few small projects (like a pocket watch holder to wear on a belt and some other very small items), but this is the first project I have ever attempted with more than a couple of dollars worth of leather. It came out exactly like I envisioned it, but my vision at this point is limited, since I am a leatherworking newbie. I really need to start learning how to do carving and stamping, as there are some beautiful examples posted here by others.

I had the bag partially sewn, and decided it was too long, so I cut it apart and shortened it by a few inches. It didn't affect anything, just took me more time, and I ended up using the cutoffs as the strap guides and some other items, so none went to waste. It is Craftsman 8-9 oz veg tanned tooling leather from Tandy, and all hand stitched because I don't have a sewing machine that would work to do this. I still have to soften the leather a bit and use it to give it a bit more worn appearance, but it came out pretty good.

post-7975-099046600 1330895957_thumb.jpg

post-7975-013225500 1330895982_thumb.jpg

post-7975-033372200 1330895997_thumb.jpg

The one tip I would be interested in, is how to soften the leather. I know veg tanned stuff isn't going to be as soft as other types, but any amount of softness would be good.

EDIT: I forgot to add, one half of the shoulder strap is a section of military sling. I liked how the hooks for adjusting the length worked, so I used the sling instead of pulling the hooks off of it.

Andy B.

Andy that's a beautiful bag. I am going to be the oddball here and tell you I soften everything with Vaseline or bag balm if I'm out of Vaseline. I have used this on all the old reins I some how accrued that I'm turning into rhythm beads and i use it on the rough out part too. Since the reins had already been finished before, I wash them with warm water and saddle soap which leaves them stiff as a board after they dry, and then I start hand rubbing Vaseline into them. On my things, being older and not so well taken care of it can take 2-3 applications, letting them dry 24 hours in between. Yours should only take one application since it's new leather. Good luck, great bag. Cheryl

ramrod,

I don't recall where I picked up the pelican hooks. I just did a search like chancey77 posted, only not for stainless. I paid somewhere around $5 or $6 apiece for them.

chancey77,

I've been reading the swivel knife and carving tips here. One of my problems was I thought you just barely cut into the leather. Now that I'd reading about cutting almost halfway in I am starting to understand how the 3D effect is created. I'm planning to start experimenting in the next week or two. Maybe this weekend if I have some time.

Cheryl,

I never thought of using Vaseline. I have Lexol conditioner and Obenauf's leather cream and conditioner, but they didn't seem to do much in the way of softening the leather. I've seen some folks recommend Neatsfoot oil, but I don't have any of that laying around. I may try the Vaseline.

Andy B.

ramrod,

I don't recall where I picked up the pelican hooks. I just did a search like chancey77 posted, only not for stainless. I paid somewhere around $5 or $6 apiece for them.

chancey77,

I've been reading the swivel knife and carving tips here. One of my problems was I thought you just barely cut into the leather. Now that I'd reading about cutting almost halfway in I am starting to understand how the 3D effect is created. I'm planning to start experimenting in the next week or two. Maybe this weekend if I have some time.

Cheryl,

I never thought of using Vaseline. I have Lexol conditioner and Obenauf's leather cream and conditioner, but they didn't seem to do much in the way of softening the leather. I've seen some folks recommend Neatsfoot oil, but I don't have any of that laying around. I may try the Vaseline.

Andy B.

Andy, I am making a product bag for myself that isn't nearly as nice as yours. I was throwing it together out of 'mistakes' I made on other projects. I had decided to leave it soft-sided until i remembered this old, I mean really old suitcase I have that's very light. I'm going to use that inside the leather I laced together. I noticed just now the suitcase has a leather hinge on it, and I'm getting ready to clean it all up so I can glue it inside mine, and i wouldn't even consider using anything but Vaseline on that old hinge. I love it for all the conditioning I need to do, I really do. Cheryl

It is an awesome bag!! Amazing for a first bag.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Love the attention to details and unique hardware used.

Still working my skill level up to this, learning how to do better on smaller projects.

Thanks for posting yours as I get to learn from you and the comments the project generates.

Edited by WScott

I just picked up some of the craftsman leather from Tandy. Got it for $3/sq ft to use as practice leather. What did you use to stain your bag? I love the texture to it!