Dan28

Motorcycle Fork Bag

So I was inspired by a user here, Fredo's, fork bag to make my own, especially since I was just using an old case my sun glasses came in. I finally finished it this weekend. I believe I used 10oz Herman Oak veg tan for it. (started it about a month ago, but worked on other stuff instead of just completing it in one go) It was my first real extensive use of stamping. Took me several tries to get the "Harley Davidson" stamped somewhat evenly. The finish is Fiebings Ox Blood with a 50/50 Resolene/Water finish. I powder coated the d-rings and buckles a transparent copper color.

The original inspiration: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=56198

gallery_53023_2281_1657090.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_37052.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_1068091.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_138883.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_862946.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_323446.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_1046091.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_167449.jpg

Edited by Dan28

Looks good, nice even color too.

Thanks guys. This was my first use of dye not in Fiebings Pro oil type. Still Fiebings, but I guess its just alcohol based. The interior where it is not dyed does have tan-kote on it. I didn't dye the entire inside as I thought having a lighter color may make it easier to see inside when it is opened. Its also only the second time I've been able to use Resolene without it streaking really badly.

It looks really nice and solid.

I LOVE IT! Really nice job, and I know what you mean about the lettering, it can be a real #$%^&. If you don't mind sharing, how did you form your end caps, they look really nice and tight? The color is killer too. Well done.

I LOVE IT! Really nice job, and I know what you mean about the lettering, it can be a real #$%^&. If you don't mind sharing, how did you form your end caps, they look really nice and tight? The color is killer too. Well done.

I used Fredo's method from the post I referenced. I had a piece of pvc plumbing pipe about 2 feet long and I think it has about a 4 inch diameter (maybe about 10-11 cm for those on the metric system) that I wet formed the main body and end caps around. For the end caps, I wet formed formed them over the end of the pipe and put a large hose clamp on the leather to draw it in tight kind of like a drum. I also used the edge of the clamp as a guide to trim the cap as evenly as I could after it had dried. I also punched the stitching holes with the cap on the pvc pipe.

Edited by Dan28

What a great idea! How come I never think of these things..............oh! That's right.............cause I'm OLD!! I forgot. Thank you so much for sharing,,,,I am going to give this a try for sure.

Dan .. I'm a Heritage owner, and I very much like your fork bag, The color does indeed look great ! your stamping pattern looks great !

And I'm impressed with your end cap method. Way to go Man !

I love your bag, Great job :notworthy: How did you attach the bag to the bike ? My brother has an older bike an I think I would like to make him one for Christmas.

Again, Wonderful job

I agree with the others, that's very nice, well done.