Suemi

206 Rb-5 Vs. 255Rb-2

I am working on getting a new machine. First I thought a motor would help but I am just going to save up. I have seen many consew model, ideally I want the 206-RB5 that many recommend but what is the difference between some of these models?

I saw a 255 rb2 that seemed nearly the same as the RB-5. What's the deal.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

I am working on getting a new machine. First I thought a motor would help but I am just going to save up. I have seen many consew model, ideally I want the 206-RB5 that many recommend but what is the difference between some of these models?

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Consew 206RB-5 is a bottom loader, very good quailty design, very reliable machine.

Consew 255RB-3 (-3) is the newst model with stitch length dial and considered Consew's flagship walking foot machine, top loader.

Both are very good options.

I just finished a similar shopping exercise and have a little data that might be helpful. As you've probably seen, sewing machine designs are pretty old and the same design is sold under many different brands, mostly originally built by Singer. I can't speak with authority on this, but I believe the 255RB is a clone of the Singer 211w, and the 206RB of a 111w. While I have not used the 255, my understanding is that the two are mechanically identical. The 206RB3 was the first industrial I ever used and it worked very well. My conclusion was that eiither would do the job but neither will work for more than maybe 3/8" thickness or so. Many here know a lot more about machines than me and might be able to comment in more detail. Ultimately I got a Juki 1541 (similar specs to the Consews and also very common) from a local dealer so I'd have someplace to go if I needed support. It cost more but the experience was much better than many have on the forums have described with eBay. I have bought gear from Bob Kovar from Toledo Sewing Machines as well and recommend him highly. Happy hunting!

There is quite some difference. While the 206 is a light to medium weight machine, the 255 is a medium to heavy weight machine, while that speaks to what it can sew, it also works in the lbs department. Like Gregg says, the hooks are different; in the 255 the hook has a vertical axis whereas the 206 is horizontal axis (top loader, bottom loader). For medium weight machines I like the vertical hook, for heavies I like horizontal shuttle. You might sacrifice a little speed with the vertical having to turn the corner, but leatherwork doesn't require speed anyway. Vertical axis hooks are easier for me to work on, I can reach right in and feel if there are any burrs, and can see the timing plain as day.

Get the 255 if you can swing it, but the 206 is a great machine and should last a good long time.

Art

Thanks for your help.

Rich

So, the 255rb2 is $400. Should i be weary? I gotta say i am a bit. I will be checking it out tomorrow. Anything i should keep my eye out for?

Thanks so much for the help.

Happy holidays,

Rich

That can be a very good price for that machine, hopefully on a stand with motor. You have to check every machine for tightness and overall operating condition. Take leather with you and sew on the machine. If it works for you and does what you want, then consider it. If there are problems, it takes a bit of experience to make the price decision, or even just to walk away.

Art

So, the 255rb2 is $400. Should i be weary? I gotta say i am a bit. I will be checking it out tomorrow. Anything i should keep my eye out for?

Thanks so much for the help.

Happy holidays,

Rich

I can't speak with authority on this, but I believe the 255RB is a clone of the Singer 211w, and the 206RB of a 111w.

I don't want to sound like a clown, and don't want to come across the wrong way, but I do want to say this information is way of the mark in many ways.

Sorry for the misinformation. I can see I should have left this to the experts. Appreciate both the correction and the politeness (both Gregg and Art) - and I should also point out that I did not get the bad info from anyone on this site. Embarrassing.

But it certainly is a confusing topic.

I don't want to sound like a clown, and don't want to come across the wrong way, but I do want to say this information is way of the mark in many ways.

Art, Thanks so much for the help. I just set up the 255rb-2. I was able to get it for $280 and wow he had no idea what he had. With the money saved I need to get a servo from toledo but damn this thing can sew. Took a bit of a learning curve, uch different than my 31-15 but exactly what I need.

All the best, and hopefully I can return the advice some day.

Happy holidays,

Rich

That can be a very good price for that machine, hopefully on a stand with motor. You have to check every machine for tightness and overall operating condition. Take leather with you and sew on the machine. If it works for you and does what you want, then consider it. If there are problems, it takes a bit of experience to make the price decision, or even just to walk away.

Art