Rockworthy

What Type/brand Of Needle And Thread Do I Need?

I'm covering my steering wheel and shift boot and knob with thick, soft leather. No matter which fabric store I go to, none of them have the right kind of thread I want: I want that nice, thick thread that stands out visually. That kind of thread you see on the exposed stitching and seams in expensive automobiles. The leather working shop in town didn't even have it. All they had was this grimey, dirty, heavily waxed thread that looked like crap. I like it when you can actually see the twists in the thread. I believe it's called "top stitch" thread. I'm only doing hand stitching right now, no machine. Anyone know a good place to get it or what type is best?

Also, to those of you out there who have hand stitched upholstery a lot, what kind of needles do I want? I have some needles but they're kind of small, only about 2" long so they're kinda hard to handle. It looks like the needles people are using on YouTube are much bigger and longer than mine. (Do I have needle envy? lol) I'll bet the ones designed for hand stitching leather have that nice 3-sided point... Can someone recommend a brand they like?

Can't tell yuo what type of thread is used "officaly" however I have had good luck with thread choice at my local fabric store. Go in and look around, you'll find something you like. I wax my own thread, I also dye my own threads. Not only will you find more then you thought you needed at fabric stores you'll save a ton of money too.

Can't tell yuo what type of thread is used "officaly" however I have had good luck with thread choice at my local fabric store. Go in and look around, you'll find something you like. I wax my own thread, I also dye my own threads. Not only will you find more then you thought you needed at fabric stores you'll save a ton of money too.

I've been to 2 fabric stores, 2 craft stores and 2 leather craft specialty stores and not one of them has had the thread. Isn't that weird? You'd think it would be common and easy to find, seeing as how it is found in EVERY nice vehicle, motorcycle, boat, upholstery or whatever. The search goes on... Maybe I need to find some kind of upholstery supply store.

I have ordered thread from Maine thread, and have been pretty happy with it. They have quite a few options on size and colors. http://www.mainethread.com/ All of the needles I use are standard sized saddler's needles. Most craft/ fabric shops don't carry them, but they have a rounded point instead of an extremely sharp point.

Have you tried the Thread Exchange at www.thethreadexchange.com. Since all of those seats are industrial made, you are probably looking at a heavy weight industrial thread commonly used sewing machines. The Thread Exchange carries a number of different types of threads, sizes and colors. By they way, waxed thread is not dirty and grimy. It is waxed for a purpose, to keep water out so it does not rote. This type of thread is commonly used on things that see a lot of all weather exposure. Something the seats in a car do not.

Bill B.